Growing grass

LilKat

Location (City and/or State)
Bethany
I want to start growing my own grass for our babies, and was just wondering what type of soil others recommend using. Can anyone tell me what is safe?

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Check out my thread on growing grass Indoors and the mixes I used

I agree though. Way easier to grow it outside and seed with winter grass and summer grasses. I'm not growing grass Indoors this year since I planted a bunch of grass outside.

LilKat

Bethany
The only problem is that its freezing outside. Where I live, we are about to have a huge winter storm coming in this weekend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You'll need some intense lighting. Might find what you need at a Hydroponics place.

For soil, you can use just about anything that doesn't have pesticides as long as the tortoise won't have access to it. In other words, if you are going to cut handfuls from your plots and feed it to the tortoises in their enclosures, you have a lot of leeway with the soils and their composition. If you intend to use trays and let the tortoises graze themselves, you'll need to be much more selective. No perlite or vermiculite. No "wetting agents". You'll have to read the ingredients list. They put all sorts of crazy additives in most soils now.

For grass seed, nothing works better for me outdoors than this one:
https://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Be careful with seed mixes from the hard ware stores. Again, they put in all sorts of crazy additives to keep the bugs away and make it look nice. That hardware store seed is not intended for consumption. Horse pasture seed is.

MaryJane

5 Year Member
Bloomington, IN
The only problem is that its freezing outside. Where I live, we are about to have a huge winter storm coming in this weekend.
I am using a large scale seed sprouting system. Let me know if you are interested in something like that.

LilKat

Bethany
I am using a large scale seed sprouting system. Let me know if you are interested in something like that.
I may be. Depending on how large, as I am limited on space until I buy our next property. Any advice is always welcomed and appreciated.

LilKat

Bethany
You'll need some intense lighting. Might find what you need at a Hydroponics place.

For soil, you can use just about anything that doesn't have pesticides as long as the tortoise won't have access to it. In other words, if you are going to cut handfuls from your plots and feed it to the tortoises in their enclosures, you have a lot of leeway with the soils and their composition. If you intend to use trays and let the tortoises graze themselves, you'll need to be much more selective. No perlite or vermiculite. No "wetting agents". You'll have to read the ingredients list. They put all sorts of crazy additives in most soils now.

For grass seed, nothing works better for me outdoors than this one:
https://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Be careful with seed mixes from the hard ware stores. Again, they put in all sorts of crazy additives to keep the bugs away and make it look nice. That hardware store seed is not intended for consumption. Horse pasture seed is.
Thank you Tom, I appreciate the advice. We have seed purchased from tortoise supply.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom, I appreciate the advice. We have seed purchased from tortoise supply.
I've used most of the seed mixes from Tortoise Supply and love them all. Good stuff.