I don't understand... (a grass question)

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hey all. So the wheat grass I've planted in the enclosure had been growing so much, since Lucky didn't trample on them nor eat them. One of the grasses had even reached 10 inches. So I decided to cut the tall ones by half. Didn't want the cut grass to go to waste, I went ahead and try to hand feed Lucky one of the cut grasses. And surprisingly, it didn't hesitate to eat the entire grass. So I fed all of them to Lucky one by one and it ate them all. So now I'm wondering... If it has a taste on the wheat grass, why didn't it just munch on the grass that was growing around it? For the record, it didn't even try to smell it. It did when I put the fake plants in, it even attempted to eat the fake plants. It's it because it thinks the wheat grass is fake too? Or are there other reasons? How can I fix this?

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Hey all. So the wheat grass I've planted in the enclosure had been growing so much, since Lucky didn't trample on them nor eat them. One of the grasses had even reached 10 inches. So I decided to cut the tall ones by half. Didn't want the cut grass to go to waste, I went ahead and try to hand feed Lucky one of the cut grasses. And surprisingly, it didn't hesitate to eat the entire grass. So I fed all of them to Lucky one by one and it ate them all. So now I'm wondering... If it has a taste on the wheat grass, why didn't it just munch on the grass that was growing around it? For the record, it didn't even try to smell it. It did when I put the fake plants in, it even attempted to eat the fake plants. It's it because it thinks the wheat grass is fake too? Or are there other reasons? How can I fix this?

Maybe he will know now. I cut them when they reach 4”. Try that. Winston always chews on his after he eats. IMG_2166.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a common phenomenon. It seems that some tortoises don't recognize "food" in its upright growing state because we've always fed it to them cut and laying flat in a bowl or tray of some sort. In time they all figure it out.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
This is a common phenomenon. It seems that some tortoises don't recognize "food" in its upright growing state because we've always fed it to them cut and laying flat in a bowl or tray of some sort. In time they all figure it out.
I see. How long does it usually take them to recognise growing food? Is there something I can do to help my tort to do so?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see. How long does it usually take them to recognise growing food? Is there something I can do to help my tort to do so?
I put my babies outside in planted areas soon after they are hatched, and they learn to nibble on stuff right away.

I don't have a definitive answer for you. It depends on so many factors such as: How they were started and what they were fed as babies, how long they've been eating flat food served on a plate, how hungry they are, what sort of environment they live in, indoors or outdoors, how the food plants look to them in real sunshine vs. indoor lighting, etc...

What can you do to help? Put the tortoise in a large well planted outdoor tortoise enclosure and don't feed it. I guarantee it will start eating the stuff growing in there. Depending on how large the enclosure is and how much time the growing tortoise stays in there, he will turn it into a barren desert in short order.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Both lol. When I need to cut the grass I add it to his food. And my 4 Dachsunds love Veggies. He recognized it as soon as he walked on it and munched away.
Yeah the same happened to me when I tried to hand feed Lucky. I was worrying that it wouldn't like the grass since they're are people here expressing the problem of their torts not eating grass for the first few months. Lucky just swallowed them all lol.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I put my babies outside in planted areas soon after they are hatched, and they learn to nibble on stuff right away.

I don't have a definitive answer for you. It depends on so many factors such as: How they were started and what they were fed as babies, how long they've been eating flat food served on a plate, how hungry they are, what sort of environment they live in, indoors or outdoors, how the food plants look to them in real sunshine vs. indoor lighting, etc...

What can you do to help? Put the tortoise in a large well planted outdoor tortoise enclosure and don't feed it. I guarantee it will start eating the stuff growing in there. Depending on how large the enclosure is and how much time the growing tortoise stays in there, he will turn it into a barren desert in short order.
Oh wow XD. Kinda harsh but a good way to get torts to stay eating grass, but Lucky is too small to be put outdoor. What if I plant more grass in my indoor enclosure and do the same thing?

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Oh wow XD. Kinda harsh but a good way to get torts to stay eating grass, but Lucky is too small to be put outdoor. What if I plant more grass in my indoor enclosure and do the same thing?

You can plant them In Your enclosure or in trays and submerge them in the substrate. Switch them out when they are destroyed. Like this clay saucer with cat grass is almost there...IMG_0005.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are never too small to be put outside. I put mine outside, for a short amount of time, literally the day they hatch. The UV from the sun has strong disinfection properties and I like that for babies that have hatched into warm damp boxes that have been incubating in the dark for 3 months. My babies get real sunshine several times a week from the day they hatch. I also feed them a huge variety of grasses, weeds, leaves, flowers and succulents. They don't see the same food a second time for at least a couple of weeks after they hatch. The result is a baby tortoise that eats anything, including grass, that its new owner feeds it.

You should make a safe outdoor and start getting your baby some outside time ASAP during warmer weather. My general rule of thumb for sulcata babies is an hour of sunshine per inch of tortoise. I go a little shorter than that for brand new babies, and sometime a little longer than that during favorable weather for older babies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience (with horses, cattle and large tortoises) that the animal much prefers to eat the newer shoots. Once the grass gets too tall, they go past it looking for shorter blades. So maybe keep it "mowed" by scissoring it occasionally.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I’m just finishing up my indoor enclosure. Thanks Tom for reminding me to start my outdoor enclosure!
I have a 2 month sold and Agee they need outside time... and I need time to plan and sprout a nice seed mix. Already have a hibiscus cutting ready.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
It has been my experience (with horses, cattle and large tortoises) that the animal much prefers to eat the newer shoots. Once the grass gets too tall, they go past it looking for shorter blades. So maybe keep it "mowed" by scissoring it occasionally.
Interesting... I wonder what the reason behind this is...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For little ones, the tender young chutes are much easier to bite, swallow and digest.

My older tortoises do the same as Yvonne's but then they get hungry and mow down everything green in sight. And some yellowish dried out stuff too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I was learning pasture management for my three cows I read that the older grass turns to cellulose and is unpalatable. When I mentioned this on the Forum many, many years ago, Ed Pirog shot me down saying ALL grass is cellulose. So I don't know what the cattle article meant by that statement, but I do know that taller, older grass is not as tasty as the younger shoots.

Reactions: Tom