Are these types of grasses okay? (oat and wheat)

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi!-
My grandma bought our Sulcata tortoise a chia pet grass grower. It has oat and wheat grass seeds. I know that MOST grasses are okay for tortoises to eat but I just want to make sure that it is safe. I will do ANYTHING to make sure our Lily doesn't have any expensive vet bills! Thank you guys in advance!

~lll

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Remember the most important part of a torts diet is a mixed diet don't give the tort just that it's high in protein but mixed in with other greens it's great
Good luck and give your tort lots of love

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I got a Duck Dynasty chia pet [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE] and I grew the chia seeds on it and I pluck off a little of the chia sprouts and mix them in with the other greens for my sulcatas [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] wheat grass is great for them too, I'd grow it but I am HIGHLY allergic to wheat [THUMBS DOWN SIGN]

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Lilyloveslettuse said:
Hi!-
My grandma bought our Sulcata tortoise a chia pet grass grower. It has oat and wheat grass seeds. I know that MOST grasses are okay for tortoises to eat but I just want to make sure that it is safe. I will do ANYTHING to make sure our Lily doesn't have any expensive vet bills! Thank you guys in advance!

~lll

Yes, they're fine. :)

Barista5261 said:
I got a Duck Dynasty chia pet [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE] and I grew the chia seeds on it and .....

I've been dying to do this! A duck dynasty chia pet in a toroise enclosure sounds hilarious!