Growing Grass in Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
So with my new enclosure that I am preparing I have used topsoil and spread grass seeds to be able to have a natural, constant food source. I have just started seeing little sprouts pop up and will be glad to move my Leopard into his new enclosure. One thing I was wondering, and thought might be an interesting topic, what does everyone think about growing their own grass in a soil that is fertilized with lime (calcium carbonate)? This way you would be able to provide a natural source of calcium positive food. I doubt I am the first person to think of it but I was wondering if anyone had any success with this idea

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't know about the lime, but little leopards usually won't eat grass until older. Mine didn't anyway. I did plant weed seeds, like clover, dandelion and some others, that eat would eat. I grew mine in plain coconut coir, so yours should grow good.

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Georgia
I also mixed dandelion seeds in as well. Lately, my little Leopard has been quite odd about his diet. He won't hardly touch the greens I put out anymore but whenever I randomly look into his enclosure, he is eating on the alfalfa and orchard hay that I leave in there. He seems to like the natural diet more than the supplied. As for the lime, it is a completely natural fertilizer and would increase the calcium levels in the vegetation.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I live on the west side of the cascades in Oregon and we get lots of rain. The rain leaved calcium poor soil. I broadcast limestone flour in my outdoor pens to help raise the calcium levels of the forage that grows in them. Typically, it is organic and free of additives and way cheap for a 50 lb. bag that will last years. I broadcast it when the grass is wet which helps it stick and then the torts get even more. I've used limestone flour for 10 years and don't know why more people don't. There are trace metals present so you don't want to over do it, but I say have at it.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
wellington said:
Don't know about the lime, but little leopards usually won't eat grass until older. Mine didn't anyway. I did plant weed seeds, like clover, dandelion and some others, that eat would eat. I grew mine in plain coconut coir, so yours should grow good.

Mine both started eating it really young, shorty was less then a year and duma was about 3 months old...I will admit it did take a little tuff love to get them going.

I have heard of using lime to boost calcium. My grandfather even used to do so for his elderly horse.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
ianedward1 said:
So with my new enclosure that I am preparing I have used topsoil and spread grass seeds to be able to have a natural, constant food source. I have just started seeing little sprouts pop up and will be glad to move my Leopard into his new enclosure. One thing I was wondering, and thought might be an interesting topic, what does everyone think about growing their own grass in a soil that is fertilized with lime (calcium carbonate)? This way you would be able to provide a natural source of calcium positive food. I doubt I am the first person to think of it but I was wondering if anyone had any success with this idea

When u grow grass do u need a certain light for it to grow?

ianedward1 said:

When u grow grass do u need a certain light for it to grow?

ianedward1

5 Year Member
Georgia
I have just been putting it in front of a window and already little sprouts are popping up

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
It's amazing how fast weeds do grow!

Attachments

• image-165216080.png
    image-165216080.png
    920.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image-1010673433.png
    image-1010673433.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.