Growing seed mix

Dave Dela Rosa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San jose California
do you guys grow your own seed mix? I ordered this from carolina pet supply and Ive been keeping it in a dark cold environment, now that they have sprouted should i move the container outside now so they can get 10-14 hours of sunlight? I took it out today for 2 hours and noticed some of the grass started to go limp, is there a reason why?

Attachments

• IMG_4155.JPG
    IMG_4155.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4164.JPG
    IMG_4164.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4184.JPG
    IMG_4184.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Plants need warmth and light. Not sure why you went with cold and dark.

Your climate is similar to mine, so I think if I share my experience with this, it will apply to your situation as well. I tried to start all sorts of plants inside and then move them outside once they got going. It never worked. Not one single time. I think the stark contrast from indoors to out is too much for them to handle. Indoors they are protected from wind, temperature extremes, UV, extreme heat in summer, low humidity, and conditions are relatively mild and controlled. Outdoors here is pretty harsh, relative to some other parts of the world. I found that if I started the seeds outside and let them germinate and begin their growth out in the elements, that they would grow up just fine. I think it was the shocking change that they couldn't deal with, not so much that the conditions were not survivable. In mid summer, you might want to start seeds under some shade cloth. You will also need to lightly water several times a day to keep the newly germinating seeds alive. If they dry out in the heat at any point, they die. If you water heavily at dusk or after dark, they can make it to the next morning without additional watering due to our cooler nights. But on a hot day, somebody better be out there with a hose or a sprinkler if you want the new seedlings to survive. Once the new plants get a little growth and the roots can reach a little deeper into moist lower layers of the soil, you can cut watering to once or twice a day.