Growing very, very fast....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Chomper was measured at 3 inches SCL the first week of February. I measured him about 2 weeks ago and his SCL was just past 3.25 inches. I measured him today.....3.75 inches. This can't be normal. He won't slow down. He is a gulf coast box turtle, but still. This is ridiculous. He looks great though. His shell looks the same as always with no deformities. Maybe I measured wrong a couple of weeks ago? I don't think so, but I guess anything is possible. He is only about 1.5 years old as far as I can tell. April 15 it was one year ago that I got him at which point he was barely 1.75 inches long with little to no growth rings.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stop feeding him and he will grow slower:p:D Of course just kidding. Hey, where is the pic of this growing machine:D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have to borrow someone's phone that has a camera and I'll get one up. I'm afraid he's going to be a monster...lol.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It happens some times. I have three hatchling 3 toed's and they were all 7 grams when I got them last july. The biggest of the three just hit 100 grams "we call him Zilla, short for Godzilla" and when you compare it to the other two that are 76 grams and 37 grams you see how fast he is growing.

I say if yours is not showing any ill affect from the fast growth then let him do his thing... :D

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Oh Yeah he is going to be a big boy! lol if his shell is good i would just be thankful he is so heathy! are you feeding daily or every other day? the gulfie is going to be epicly huge :) good thing he doesnt have a wussy name :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He is fed every other day. And he is a great eater! I weighed him yesterday as well, and he was 125 grams. A couple weeks ago when he was just over 3.25 inches SCL, he was about 95 to 100 grams. Though with weight we can't take it to heart.....I'm using a cheap dial scale right now. Not the most accurate I'm sure. My three toed went from 25 grams to 30 grams in the past couple of weeks though.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
My Florida BT hatchling has doubled her weight in less than 3 months and she was just born in august 2011. She was 41 grams in January when I got her and she's over 90 now lol . She's a eating machine for sure !!

Status
Not open for further replies.