Growth & Pyramiding

CL84

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Clarita, CA
Hi,

I acquired this leopard tortoise that had pyramiding prior to me picking it up. In april it was 219 grams. It's more than doubled in size since mid april and is now 490 grams. I am doing everything I can to minimize pyramiding moving forward. It has a varied diet, mainly escarole, endive, and dandilion as a base + mazuri 5m21. It is now living outdoors full time and its enclosure gets a good spray down in the mornings. It also has a very humid hide where it spends a lot of time. Also frequent soaks. + calcium twice per week.

I'm attaching photos of its growth. the new rings of growth are budging past the old rings and they are growing much larger than previously. This isn't happening on any of my other tortoises. Any thoughts? Growing too fast? IMG_1319.JPGIMG_4142.JPGIMG_1317.JPGIMG_4141.JPG

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi,

I acquired this leopard tortoise that had pyramiding prior to me picking it up. In april it was 219 grams. It's more than doubled in size since mid april and is now 490 grams. I am doing everything I can to minimize pyramiding moving forward. It has a varied diet, mainly escarole, endive, and dandilion as a base + mazuri 5m21. It is now living outdoors full time and its enclosure gets a good spray down in the mornings. It also has a very humid hide where it spends a lot of time. Also frequent soaks. + calcium twice per week.

I'm attaching photos of its growth. the new rings of growth are budging past the old rings and they are growing much larger than previously. This isn't happening on any of my other tortoises. Any thoughts? Growing too fast? View attachment 373301View attachment 373302View attachment 373303View attachment 373304
The new growth looks good and healthy. I think you are doing fine with the tortoise.