Growth Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

terribrown71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Tx

Arthur seems to be getting bigger every month..is this normal? I got him in March and started rehabbing him. He is 3 and a half and at the time he fit into the palm of my hand and weighed about the same as an empty soda can (very poor condition). Now it takes 2 hands to pick him up and he is a big one! Is he just playing catch up? I noticed today he has another growth line down his plastron...Thanks for the input.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
im actually new as well but i would have to say that yes this is normal. since i am assuming that you got him from bad situation and now he is eating the right things he is going to grow. i would weight him weekly if you can to monitor the growth. but it sounds like you are doing the right thing with and by him..:D

terribrown71

5 Year Member
Arlington, Tx
I hope so.. He's my first sulcata...he seems happy and full of energy let me tell ya. I just didn't want him grownig too fast..just concerned for his bones. His color is great and his pyramiding looks like it has smoothed out a little (it was horrible when I first got him). Definitely very sweet but has an attitude when it comes to his food...I get charged regularly... :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well ya didn't think he would shrink, did ya'? :D

Yes, healthy, well hydrated sulcatas do tend to grow pretty fast. Don't forget the calcium supplements during those big growth spurts.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:

Yes, healthy, well hydrated sulcatas do tend to grow pretty fast. Don't forget the calcium supplements during those big growth spurts.

Does the growth come in spurts? Like the grow a lot for a period and then stop growing for a period and then grow a lot again and so forth. I had the idea that it was just gradual...

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
BrinnANDGupta said:
Does the growth come in spurts? Like the grow a lot for a period and then stop growing for a period and then grow a lot again and so forth. I had the idea that it was just gradual...

I'm not a expert but looking at my own Sullys and of course reading around here I know that there is nothing gradual about Sulcatas growth rate but they do go through some spurts.These guys are future Bulldozers and they grow grow grow.What I can tell you is because of past poor conditions his body is probably going to put on some much needed weight and growth just from the care upgrade.Glad you got ahold of your new guy he sounded like he needed you. :)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I'm not a expert but looking at my own Sullys and of course reading around here I know that there is nothing gradual about Sulcatas growth rate but they do go through some spurts.These guys are future Bulldozers and they grow grow grow.What I can tell you is because of past poor conditions his body is probably going to put on some much needed weight and growth just from the care upgrade.Glad you got ahold of your new guy he sounded like he needed you.

I knew that got huge lol I just was under the impression that it happened gradual and evenly not in spurts of a lot of growth and then no growth for a while and then lots more growth.. more of a just constant continuos growth. It makes sense thought that they would go through growth spurts (I think that is what my Gupta is doing right now, hopefully cause I have always thought he looked a little small...)

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
BrinnANDGupta said:
I knew that got huge lol I just was under the impression that it happened gradual and evenly not in spurts of a lot of growth and then no growth for a while and then lots more growth.. more of a just constant continuos growth. It makes sense thought that they would go through growth spurts (I think that is what my Gupta is doing right now, hopefully cause I have always thought he looked a little small...)

Well I know that no two Sullys are the same just from observing my own.Both receive the same exact care but Bowser seems to be growing at a nice even rate while Peach has decided to bust out of her shell in growth so to speak.She is just now starting to smooth out growth wise and settle.lol I guess as long as we are doing our best and making sure they have what they need they will decide the rest :)

terribrown71

5 Year Member
Arlington, Tx
BrinnANDGupta said:
Tom said:

yes it seems to come like every every other month or so. I know I should weigh him but dont have a scale that will hold him now. I have been visually checking him and of course I hold him quite often (he likes it) so its not too hard to tell. I use calcium at least two to three times per week on his food...is that enough? :D

sulcatababies1402 said:
BrinnANDGupta said:

I'm not a expert but looking at my own Sullys and of course reading around here I know that there is nothing gradual about Sulcatas growth rate but they do go through some spurts.These guys are future Bulldozers and they grow grow grow.What I can tell you is because of past poor conditions his body is probably going to put on some much needed weight and growth just from the care upgrade.Glad you got ahold of your new guy he sounded like he needed you. :)

He is definitely a bulldozer already...he walks around his tort table at a fairly high rate of speed until it shakes and I let him out so he can run over things in the house or outside. He's my baby though so we had to basically turtle proof...he's already tried to push through the fence...had to block so he cant see thru lol..like children they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.