growth under jaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdanielle

5 Year Member
Hello...We have a desert tortise that we received from a family member back in November - do think she is over 20 years old. She is eating well and active, eyes clear, poops etc. We noticed a growth of sorts under her jaw - almost looks like she is growing a horn there. It is fleshy, not hard and not red or bleeding - maybe 1/4-1/3 inch. It is shaped like a cone or volcano - so wider where it attaches to her then gets skinnier - almost look like a tip of a calloused wart on the tip. Does not seem to bother her. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Danielle

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Danielle,
Can you post pictures of the lower jaw? They would help :D Males, and females to a lesser extant, have glands at the corners of their lower jaw (so 2 of them 1 on each side). Can you also post pictures of the plastron (bottom shell)?

Danny

fdanielle

5 Year Member
Hi Danny, thanks for the reply.

Attached a couple pics - I will try to get on posted this evening of under her bottom side - I need more hands to get that pic! :)

Hope these are helpful - sorry about the PDF's...the resolution on my camera was set to hight for upload to this site...will fix that for underbelly pic. View attachment turtletime2.pdfView attachment turtletime.pdf.

Danielle

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Congratulations! Its a BOY!!! Male tortoises have these glands under the chin and during mating season, they swell and weep. It does look like your guy's one side is slightly larger than usual. The gland itself is normal, however, the seemingly large swelling isn't. Can you pick at it and see if there's something in there...like a fox tail?

fdanielle

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply Yvonne..I will take a look...SO funny she's a HE..I was starting to think that after what Danny said about the glands...hahaha...do think my father in law will be a bit surprised!

The size was definitely down yesterday from the day before...but will take a look for something in there

Thanks!

Danielle

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It does look plugged and a bit infected (possiblely). I agree with Yvonne, you do have a male. :D

Danny

fdanielle

5 Year Member
Didn't see anything obvious there, it is hard on the tip - seems calluosed - the one on the other side is fully fleshy. Move it around, pushed on it, pinched it a bit..just a hard tip, rest is fleshy. Definitely not as huge as it was though.

Added a pic i just took...

So, I would guess it is clogged/blocked? Any course of action to take?
Warm compress? Soak? Thoughts would be great.

Thanks so much for the assistance so far...you've both been great!

Danielle

Attachments

• turtletime3.pdf
    701 KB · Views: 66

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's still plugged. Looks of vasoline to soften up the plug so it can come out on it's own or you can get it out.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.