growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
today i began to wonder, approximately how long will it take Ophelia to fully grow??

and also, when she gets larger...how do people keep them? like the enclosure and ext

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
I bought Eleanor already big so we had to build a big enclosure for her but we have a really big screened in porch and a large backyard with a privacy fence. We keep her enclosure in the screened in porch. We also live in central Florida so we can keep her outside. I think it would depend on where you live as to what you would want to keep her in during the winter months.

I can't answer your question as to how long it takes them to grow. Eleanor is about 11" long and I have been told she is around 10-12 yrs.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
well that answers a few curiosities, thank you. now i guess ill just have to figure it out when the time comes, ha which probably wont be soon

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It depends a great deal upon how much, how often and what they are fed. I have seen hatchlings grow to almost 4 inches in a year, 8 inches in 3 years. It also depends upon the tortoise itself. I have some clutch mates that differ in size by 50% probably due to competitive advantages - same food, same enclosure. With customary captive husbandry, it will take 5 - 10 years for it to become adult (mature) size or approx 10" SCL. The growth rate, length not weight, tapers off after that. After they reach 12 - 14" the overall growth slows considerably. That will probably take 15 - 20 years (again, depending upon the feeding regimen).

A single adult RF can stay the winter in a tortoise table of at least 16 square feet floor space or similar enclosure (a 5' diameter plastic wading pool works well). Don't forget that lighting, humidity, water, etc. will need to be accomodated. Of course, bigger is better!

HTH...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A healthy growth rate is considered about an inch a year. They start at about 2.5 and hit about 12ish.

As they grow, the best overall habitat is a tortoise table or other large open space that allows about 8'x4' for an adult. You can do a pen in the corner of a room, etc. as long as you can keep the environment right- especially keeping the floor from being cold.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pio will be three years old on July 6th and he is about 6 1/4 in. He's a Cherry Head. Mark you are saying that they should grow an inch a year and Pio was 2 in. when I got him, so he should only be 5 in.?? Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.