Guilt of losing my 2 year old tortoise

Donnie61

Location (City and/or State)
Korea
Hello Everyone.

Exactly 2 years ago I posted my first thread showing off my new tortoise on this website. Little did i know that exactly 2 years later i would lose him.

He was a russian horsefield and his birthday was 4 days ago.

I have this overwhelming guilt of his passing. I did feed him, bath him, and clean his enclosure however I do admit i have not been giving him much attention this past 3 months because i got super busy with uni. I dont know the exact reason on his passing but im feeling extremely guilty for not taking care of him better. He was still a baby and had many years ahead of us spending time together and even joked about him attending my wedding. Tortoises are supposed to live long and i feel responsible for his early death.

He was there for me during my loneliest times especially during the pandemic and the fact that i wasnt there for him even on his last breath is absolutely heartbreaking. I was out of my hometown to live near my school so my mom has been taking care of him. And she did take care of him im just devastated by how i lost him so quick. It felt like his purpose of being here for me was done as he knew i started making friends and living life. He might have felt like i didnt need him anymore which is not true.

He looked normal and acted normal so we had no suspicions of him being sick or seeing anything wrong. My mom told me how he looked “peaceful” and wondered if he was in pain all alone the last few days. We buried him near our house where a lot of people pass by so he wont feel alone. We threw all away his things and his enclosure to help me move on except for a plastic flower decoration i had for him.

I have been crying for non stop the whole day and I felt like i had to write this as a way to bring closure. I feel like a terrible owner. Thank you for being part of my life. Donnie I love you and miss you and i hope you will be reborn into a loving family in your next life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't beat yourself up. If you and your mom did everything right, then you have nothing to blame yourself for. Because they are prey, tortoises are able to hide their illness until it's too late to do anything about it. I'm so sorry you lost little Donnie, but my feeling is that he had a pretty great life while living with you and your mom.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second what Yvonne said.
It's never easy losing a pet. But you didn't purposely kill him. If you did anything wrong, you would have changed it if you knew better or if you thought it would do him in. It's likely he got a bad start from the breeder and you gave him two years he wouldn't had gotten had he stayed with the breeder.
May have been no fault of anyone or anything. Just what it was going to be.