Sudden death

Tittlestortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Brickeys
I’m a new tortoise keeper I bought a tortoise from petco and asked everything I needed and made sure to get it. I also researched and kept his enclosure at recommended temperature and humidity and feed him recommended foods such as collard greens and kale and red peppers and do 15 minute soaks. This morning I did his soak and took him out and put him back in his enclosure with his food and water I just gave freah and checked on him 30 minutes later and he wasn’t moving I figured just sleeping and left him be checked again in 30 minutes and he was still not moving I picked him up and he was dead. I don’t know what could have killed him his cage was 80 and 60 humidity. Is it possible my kids stressed him with them screaming and hollering and that’s why he died ?

AlfalfaAlfie

California
I’m so sorry to hear that! What temperature was the water that you soaked your tort in? If the water was too cold or if the temperature outside/inside was too cold then he might have gone into shock and that might be why he died.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I’m so sorry about your tortoise☹️
I am no expert at all, but it may be hard to know what caused his death. It is pretty well known that Torts from Petco are wild caught. Sometimes wild caught tortoises that have been through a lot of stress and poor conditions before being sold don’t acclimate well and don’t make it?. I don’t think it was your kids. We have 7 and our Tort has been great with them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m a new tortoise keeper I bought a tortoise from petco and asked everything I needed and made sure to get it. I also researched and kept his enclosure at recommended temperature and humidity and feed him recommended foods such as collard greens and kale and red peppers and do 15 minute soaks. This morning I did his soak and took him out and put him back in his enclosure with his food and water I just gave freah and checked on him 30 minutes later and he wasn’t moving I figured just sleeping and left him be checked again in 30 minutes and he was still not moving I picked him up and he was dead. I don’t know what could have killed him his cage was 80 and 60 humidity. Is it possible my kids stressed him with them screaming and hollering and that’s why he died ?
Sorry to hear about this, but I do have some insight for you.

1. Petco doesn't sell hermanni. They only sell wild caught Russians. A pic will verify this.
  2. Petco's recommendations for temperature, housing, products and diet, are usually all wrong.
  3. The soak wouldn't kill him unless it was way too hot.
  4. Tortoises can't hear. Your kid's noise did not kill him.
  5. Because the tortoises they sell are all WC, they come in stressed, dehydrated, and carrying all sorts of diseases and pathogens. Sudden and unexpected death is common.
Here is the correct care info and some tips:

Your questions are welcome.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia

1. Petco doesn't sell hermanni. They only sell wild caught Russians. A pic will verify this.
  2. Petco's recommendations for temperature, housing, products and diet, are usually all wrong.
  5. Because the tortoises they sell are all WC, they come in stressed, dehydrated, and carrying all sorts of diseases and pathogens. Sudden and unexpected death is common.

I didn’t realize they couldn’t here like we do. That explains why my tort isn’t at all bothered by my kids ?. voices.

Tittlestortoise

Brickeys

I kept at 80 degrees in temperature in the cold area of enclosure and 60-80 in humidity. I thought Hermann tortoise Bc I did look them up and he had spike on tall and looked like one I only have two pictures I’ll see if I can post them but can’t tell much in them I thought I would have much more time with him. I did 4 inches of topsoil and 2 inches of cypress mulch and he had a log to hide under and I fed him collard greens, mustard greens, and red pepper. I also misted his enclosure with water every time humidity went down I was having a hard time maiming humidity so I was going to go buy a fogged. I read many things online and thought I was educating myself and doing right by my pet but obviously not 60235E68-DC7C-4EE4-BAE4-5006065244D0.jpeg07691A22-B692-4C30-B47E-CB055E39B4B4.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I kept at 80 degrees in temperature in the cold area of enclosure and 60-80 in humidity. I thought Hermann tortoise Bc I did look them up and he had spike on tall and looked like one I only have two pictures I’ll see if I can post them but can’t tell much in them I thought I would have much more time with him. I did 4 inches of topsoil and 2 inches of cypress mulch and he had a log to hide under and I fed him collard greens, mustard greens, and red pepper. I also misted his enclosure with water every time humidity went down I was having a hard time maiming humidity so I was going to go buy a fogged. I read many things online and thought I was educating myself and doing right by my pet but obviously not
I stand corrected. That does appear to be a hermanni. I haven't seen this anywhere in the country and I go into Petcos from coast to coast. Literally. CA to GA, and many points in between, like NY, TX, LA, AZ, etc...

I don't know were they source their hermanni, but they must be imports due to the size.

No one can say why he died, but all of the bad info out there is certainly confusing and frustrating. I don't think it is anything you did, or didn't do. Who would have ever thought that a "Pet Store" is one of the worst places to buy a pet? The care info linked above is still correct for either species, so if you decide to try again, get a much larger enclosure, don't use soil, feed different foods, don't use a fogger, and buy directly from a breeder who soaks daily and starts them right.

80 degrees is a nice day time ambient, but they should cool at night, and they need a basking area that is much warmer than 80 during the day.

We'll help you through the whole process if you want to try again.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl

I thought they only sold russians too, then one time I saw a pair of hermanns, then another time a redfoot! who knew?
IMG_1034.JPG
IMG_1736.JPG

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Honestly I’m not going to try again because another living being should die because I don’t know what I’m doing. I’ll leave it up to the experts.
Honestly,, you didn't cause the death. Since your little tortoise came from a pet shop s/he was at the least somewhat adult. It takes a long time for you to make them unhealthy enough to die if they're kinda healthy in the first place. Especially when you're trying so hard to do it right. I'm so sorry you lost your little one.

Tittlestortoise

Brickeys
I’m so sorry to hear that! What temperature was the water that you soaked your tort in? If the water was too cold or if the temperature outside/inside was too cold then he might have gone into shock and that might be why he died.
It was luke warm I’m not certain on exactly the temperature but this wasn’t first time I had soaked him.

AlfalfaAlfie

California
It was luke warm I’m not certain on exactly the temperature but this wasn’t first time I had soaked him.
So sorry for you loss, like others have said, the cause of death was most likely due to the fact that he came from a pet shop. It really wasn’t yours or your kids’ fault. I’m sure your tortoise was lucky to have a loving owner like you!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so sorry for your loss. It is so devastating to lose a beloved pet. You did nothing wrong. He/she most likely was ill when you purchased him/her at the pet store.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Terribly sorry for your lost. Hermanns is an hardy species that normally don't require daily soak if the enclosure's humidity is 60 to 80%.

What I believe that Petco sold a sick animal to you that took some time come to his death. You should purchase your next tortoise from one of the breeder in this forum that you can have someone back you up with your purchase.

Please try again and good luck.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
((Hugs))

Having a failed experience does not mean that you are a failure.

Animals taken from the wild endure a great deal of stress, even if the collector is careful.

Then they are passed on to a pet store (or other mass distribution channel) environment where the care is minimal or poor.

Then they are sold to the public with incomplete or incorrect care information; people are not warned against over-handling a wild-caught critter.

They are not screened for intestinal parasites or other conditions that could negatively impact health. New owners are seldom advised or urged to take them for wellness medical exams where they can be screened and treated, if needed.

Help your family heal through this heart-breaking time, but do be open to starting over with a critter who needs to be rehomed, or one from an established breeder who wants their animals and customers to succeed.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Honestly I’m not going to try again because another living being should die because I don’t know what I’m doing. I’ll leave it up to the experts.

I am so very sorry to hear this. You did nothing to your tortoise that was not suggested to you by the store from which you purchased your little fellow. I would suggest you do not use bagged topsoil as most sources are from composting facilities that include all types of poisonous plants and pesticide residues. I am also wondering if the pelleted food (small colorful little balls) you were feeding, was soaked before feeding. I am wondering if these, when fed dry, could get stuck in the throat if your tortoise tried to consume them too quickly. Accidental choking deaths can occur to any one of us. I hope when the pain of this loss passes you will consider another tortoise. They are so fascinating and can provide you such joy.