Guinea pig and tortoise share a home

Crocgirl

Location (City and/or State)
Paignton
Hello again,

I have been asked by a friend if it's okay for her to keep her Testudo species with her 18 guinea pigs?

I know the environment required is entirely different for both, this is only when the tortoises are outside. It's bark and not grass also. They appear to get along but she just wanted to query her actions to make sure it's ok.

I wasn't sure what things may be applicable towards the 'no' factor as I'm not very knowledgeable on guinea pigs and had never thought about putting torts with them.

Any help wildly appreciated ☺️

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hello again,

I have been asked by a friend if it's okay for her to keep her Testudo species with her 18 guinea pigs?

I know the environment required is entirely different for both, this is only when the tortoises are outside. It's bark and not grass also. They appear to get along but she just wanted to query her actions to make sure it's ok.

I wasn't sure what things may be applicable towards the 'no' factor as I'm not very knowledgeable on guinea pigs and had never thought about putting torts with them.

Any help wildly appreciated ☺️
Not the best idea. Guinea pigs poop a lot and the tortoise may ingest their feces.

Also, they eat alot faster than the tort and could out compete it for food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, Absolutely bad idea for both! Besides above, the tortoise could ram a guinea pig hurting or killing it, could bite them and or the pigs bite the tort. Besides totally different requirements.

Crocgirl

Paignton
These are brilliant answers! Appreciate the thread link too, I'll pass it on to her.

She's open to the no, I think sometimes people just like to know the whys too. Especially when they aren't experts.

Thank you for your help everyone ☺️