Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashbelys

5 Year Member
I know I'm always asking so many questions but it seems like you guy know what you're talking about.
As most of you know, I have two baby painteds. It seems they very much dislike being handled at all. One of them actually hides when he hears me talking or I come near the tank. How do I help them not be afraid of me? Or get them to like me? Lol
Everyone seems to have a connection with their turtles and tortoises and id really like to work on that with mine.
I know a lot of people say reptiles don't have feelings or trust or whatever, but I have to disagree with that. I had two geckos and they actually enjoyed when I held them, but ran when anyone else tried to handle them.
So how do I get to that point with my turtles?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
ask all the questions you please, thats the purpose of the forum. people also say that tortoises are boring (see my point?) now, i dont know much about turtles..but my tortoises climb all over me when they get the chance, and LOVE when i 'scratch' under their chins, but cower inside their shells or hides if someone else approaches..so they know something. these are amazing creatures we keep and care for, which is what drew me to them. theyre so smart. they will eventually warm up to you, i would imagine.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

ashbelys

5 Year Member
Should I just keep trying to hold them or play with them? They freak out and squirm when I do.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Aquatic turtles I never handle unless I'm cleaning the tank or something like that. They by nature feel safest in water and that's why they try and run and squirm, they are trying to get back into the water. It can cause a lot of stress for them. My turtles are just as friendly tho without ever handling them. They will come up to the glass, when I'm looking on, they allow me to hand feed them, they come up to the surface when I look in. Most of this tho is triggered by food.

I suggest just feeding them then look into the tank and watch. They will learn not to be scared of you over time. Don't handle them often, it can be stressful for aquatics

Goodluck!

Kyle

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Millerlite said:
Aquatic turtles I never handle unless I'm cleaning the tank or something like that. They by nature feel safest in water and that's why they try and run and squirm, they are trying to get back into the water. It can cause a lot of stress for them. My turtles are just as friendly tho without ever handling them. They will come up to the glass, when I'm looking on, they allow me to hand feed them, they come up to the surface when I look in. Most of this tho is triggered by food.

I suggest just feeding them then look into the tank and watch. They will learn not to be scared of you over time. Don't handle them often, it can be stressful for aquatics

Goodluck!

Kyle

Check out my site and channel:
Www.tortoise-spot.webs.com
Www.youtube.com/tortoisespot

I completely agree with this. My opinion is, that we don't get into this because we want a domesticated pet that will cuddle up with us on our pillows. We want a living dinosaur that can be observed. THe biggest reward with turtles is watching their health and behavior as it correlates to the care/environment we provide.

I personally love it when my turtles fight against my hands with strength when they are held. If I want to pet something, I call my dogs over.

Much literature talks about stress in turtles and how it is believed that seemingly healthy turtles can actually be suffering from stress. Why not provide the most natural and comfortable environment and care that we can?

I love when they want to bite me too. That means they're healthy.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I handle mine daily.

I don't use I side lighting for sun, I use the sun as sun ;). I take her out of her tank and let her swim in the pond everyday. I talk to them/pet their heads during the change. Haha

Winter is coming, I'll need to invest in another light.

_________
~ Shelly ~

Status
Not open for further replies.