Hard substrate

lara9761

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
I have 3 tortoises in Dubai, I have recently bought a UVA+UVB lamp. I used to use a humus substrate but their claws started to get long so I assumed they needed something harder to file them down. I went to the pet shop and was convinced to buy sand. My only concern is the fact the sand keeps getting on their food and they will be ingesting it. Does anyone have any ideas on what would be better, as I don’t even know what breed any of them are and I can’t find much information anywhere? Ive seen some other posts about softer substrates need something stronger as I don’t want their claws getting too long

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like you should clip them. If you post pictures of your tortoises we'll help you identify them.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
You definitely shouldn’t be using sand. If you give us pictures of your tortoise, we can identify the species.

lara9761

Dubai
Welcome to the forum!
You definitely shouldn’t be using sand. If you give us pictures of your tortoise, we can identify the species.

IMG_3368.jpgIMG_3369.jpgIMG_3370.jpg

These are all three of them, are they the same species? And I don’t know if you can see but I have some pyramiding in one of them, I can’t reverse it right only stop it getting worse?