Is it possible to use sand and clay substrate for a Russian tortoise?

BorisTheWonderTort

Location (City and/or State)
Haywards Heath
I do understand the problems that sand substrate cause, but for an adult would a mix of sand/rock/hardened clay be suitable. I was having a look into some research about their wild area and I have been thinking about how best to recreate their sandy type steppes environment. For the baby I still keep them in a reptibark humid enclosure but I was wondering if I could make something like this for when they become an adult?

Attachments

• C52EFF3A-519C-4D0C-9E97-BCD17AD15E03.jpeg
    C52EFF3A-519C-4D0C-9E97-BCD17AD15E03.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 5

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi I use orchid bark for my Russian and spot clean it lasts a while. IN UK I use swell reptiles whi deliver
Out of stock bit you can splenectomy an alert when back in stock
Also from Amazon Pro rep ....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z33MCZT/?tag=
Sand and soil can be messy, get in their food, get in thier eyes and is not rerecommended. It can be ingested and cause internal issues.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The tortoises may travel across sand to get where they are going in the wild, but they don't live and eat in it if they have a choice.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
NO SAND!!! How can you say "I do understand the problems that sand substrate cause", yet you are still looking for someone to say sand is ok...It's not ok...it can KILL your tortoise...yet you still want to use some? NO

BorisTheWonderTort

Haywards Heath
Hi I use orchid bark for my Russian and spot clean it lasts a while. IN UK I use swell reptiles whi deliver
Out of stock bit you can splenectomy an alert when back in stock
Also from Amazon Pro rep ....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z33MCZT/?tag=
Sand and soil can be messy, get in their food, get in thier eyes and is not rerecommended. It can be ingested and cause internal issues.
I know that but I think a small amount will be ok in my outdoor enclosure

BorisTheWonderTort

Haywards Heath
NO SAND!!! How can you say "I do understand the problems that sand substrate cause", yet you are still looking for someone to say sand is ok...It's not ok...it can KILL your tortoise...yet you still want to use some? NO
I was wondering for an outdoor enclosure. Sand can kill your tortoise but I wasn’t going to use that high of a quantity. The picture I added was a photo of Russian tortoise natural habitat which contains a small amount of sand on the surface with a hard clay base. The indoor enclosure doesn’t contain that but for the outdoor I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with trying to replicate this terrain.

BorisTheWonderTort

Haywards Heath
The tortoises may travel across sand to get where they are going in the wild, but they don't live and eat in it if they have a choice.
My enclosure is 22x16 and I was going to put a few hand fulls of sand around the rocky patch and a clay area with around a handful of sand on top to help drainage and the dry terrain that they have in the wild .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know that but I think a small amount will be ok in my outdoor enclosure
We are unanimously telling you "no, sand is a bad idea". Why do you think that is?

If you keep asking, you will find someone who tells you what you want to hear. Then you can learn about what sand does to tortoises first hand with your own tortoise.

Your enclosure is not the wild. Your tortoise is not eating or behaving as a wild tortoise would. Is sand possible? Of course it is. Is sand suitable? No. No it is not. Do some people still use it and recommend it? Yes, yes they do. Do some tortoises still get skin and eye irritation, as well as sand impaction from this practice? Yes, yes they do.

BorisTheWonderTort

Haywards Heath
We are unanimously telling you "no, sand is a bad idea". Why do you think that is?

If you keep asking, you will find someone who tells you what you want to hear. Then you can learn about what sand does to tortoises first hand with your own tortoise.

Your enclosure is not the wild. Your tortoise is not eating or behaving as a wild tortoise would. Is sand possible? Of course it is. Is sand suitable? No. No it is not. Do some people still use it and recommend it? Yes, yes they do. Do some tortoises still get skin and eye irritation, as well as sand impaction from this practice? Yes, yes they do.
Ok but is the rock and hardened clay allowed? That was what I was really asking for. I understand that my enclosure is not the wild but I wanted to make a nice enclosure for my Russian tortoise when he is full grown that was similar to the wild - not identical. I really didn’t think that a few handfuls of sand would cause harm due to the size of the enclosure but my main question was the rock and hardened clay because that is more like their wild environment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok but is the rock and hardened clay allowed? That was what I was really asking for. I understand that my enclosure is not the wild but I wanted to make a nice enclosure for my Russian tortoise when he is full grown that was similar to the wild - not identical. I really didn’t think that a few handfuls of sand would cause harm due to the size of the enclosure but my main question was the rock and hardened clay because that is more like their wild environment.
I use the native dirt in my area, but I see no harm in using rock that is too large to swallow, or hardened clay. Russians are adept escape artists and climbers, so my only caution would be to make sure he can't flip or get stuck in your art work.

As far as using a few handfuls of sand, why would you want to? The sand won't do anything beneficial for the tortoise, and it only takes one grain to cause and eye infection. A few handfuls is enough to cause impaction if ingested. I would just skip it in favor of items that don't cause harm.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
When I built my outside enclosure I layed chicken wire end to end with big breeze blocks surrounding. I added a a bed of pebbles then bark substrate. No soil no sand. When I clean my indoor enclosure the orchid bark goes to the outside enclosure. My Russian is very at home on bark and burrows. I have the knowledge that he can not tunnel out.