hard water stain on shell

theodorejr

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Hey guys!

i suppose my little fella has some slight hard water stains on his shell and i wanted to ask if it's just an aesthetic problem or if it does also affect his health?
in some threads on here it got recommmended to put carefully on some cold pressed coconut oil what i did yesterday and then i softly cleaned him so im gonna wait if this helps..
i use a soft baby toothbrush everyday but it really doesnt go away with it that's why im asking if its a problem for the tortoise?
on his plastron is nothing so i dont assume its shell fungus

ps. someone already told me that he has slight pyramiding but he was like this when i got him and since then he has the correct lighting and humidity with over 85% all the time so when he grows it shouldnt be a problem from now on.

thanks for everyone taking time to take a look at it :)

Attachments

• IMG_7996.jpeg
    IMG_7996.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7995.jpeg
    IMG_7995.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys!

i suppose my little fella has some slight hard water stains on his shell and i wanted to ask if it's just an aesthetic problem or if it does also affect his health?
in some threads on here it got recommmended to put carefully on some cold pressed coconut oil what i did yesterday and then i softly cleaned him so im gonna wait if this helps..
i use a soft baby toothbrush everyday but it really doesnt go away with it that's why im asking if its a problem for the tortoise?
on his plastron is nothing so i dont assume its shell fungus

ps. someone already told me that he has slight pyramiding but he was like this when i got him and since then he has the correct lighting and humidity with over 85% all the time so when he grows it shouldnt be a problem from now on.

thanks for everyone taking time to take a look at it :)
I can't tell if those are hard water stain or not, but if they are, its easy to remedy this problem. Use regular mineralized water for drinking and soaking, and then use demineralized water for rinsing and spraying the enclosure. Some examples of water without minerals would be collected rainwater, reverse osmosis water, or distilled water. After a soak, I spray my tortoises with rain water before placing them back in their enclosures. This rinses the mineralized water off of them. I don't dry them. As that rainwater evaporates, it leaves behind no mineral deposits like normal tap or well water does.

theodorejr

Austria
I can't tell if those are hard water stain or not, but if they are, its easy to remedy this problem. Use regular mineralized water for drinking and soaking, and then use demineralized water for rinsing and spraying the enclosure. Some examples of water without minerals would be collected rainwater, reverse osmosis water, or distilled water. After a soak, I spray my tortoises with rain water before placing them back in their enclosures. This rinses the mineralized water off of them. I don't dry them. As that rainwater evaporates, it leaves behind no mineral deposits like normal tap or well water does.
Ok thank you i will do that from now on.

do you have any idea what else it could be cus you said u aren't sure its hard water stains? thank you!