Shell. (hard water stains? Fungus?)

bozotony

Location (City and/or State)
Hialeah Florida
Why does my tortoises shell look so worn down? I got Yhorm like 2 weeks ago. Im assuming the white stuff is hard water stains due to me using sink water. Or am i wrong? Does this look like shell rot?
D8D3ED99-0017-4061-AA98-1A0EFC86E3CC.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why does my tortoises shell look so worn down? I got Yhorm like 2 weeks ago. Im assuming the white stuff is hard water stains due to me using sink water. Or am i wrong? Does this look like shell rot?
View attachment 345559
Use demineralized water for spraying the tortoise and the enclosure. Distilled, collected rain water, or reverse osmosis water. Use regular mineralized water, like tap water or spring water, for soaking and drinking.

Shell rot typically occurs on the plastron, not the carapace. It is usually caused by overly wet conditions.

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
Use demineralized water for spraying the tortoise and the enclosure. Distilled, collected rain water, or reverse osmosis water. Use regular mineralized water, like tap water or spring water, for soaking and drinking.

Shell rot typically occurs on the plastron, not the carapace. It is usually caused by overly wet conditions.
luckily ive been getting a natural spray for the enclosure from the constant rain

bozotony

Hialeah Florida

so its just hard water? or shell fungus?

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
The white stuff is a shell fungus, not rot. You can get a tube of athlete's foot cream and apply it every few days for a week or two, and it will go away. It may come back periodically.
what could be the cause of the fungus? It grew so rapidly in a week

bozotony

Hialeah Florida
View attachment 345559
the white stuff went away after scrubbing apple cider vinegar and water mixture with a toothbrush, but i bought an athletes foot creme just incase

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so its just hard water? or shell fungus?
That looks like hard water stains to me. Fungus does't normally form on the carapace where the sun and UV hits it. Fungus, aka shell rot, forms underneath on the plastron when it happens.