Has anyone kept Mata Matas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Looking for any hands on info, and any tidbits you might find pertinent to keeping these guys.

I have always been intrigued by Mata Matas. I usually get myself a "treat" or two at income tax return time, and I am starting to do research already, lol. Just exploring options ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No I have not but it is one I definitely want to keep, but they are very expensive and right now I can't justify spending like 600 on a turtle, I have been researching for a long time when one comes along at a good price I will jump on it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My main piece of advice would be to get two of them. That way, they can do their herding behavior with catch fish.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I've had two, both at seperate times. They were both hatchlings when I acquired them. The first one made it to 5 years and the 2nd one to 4 years. Each of them died out of the blue. They were active and eating great, then overnight, poof, their gone. Come to find out afterwards I guess that is a known issue with the captives. Don't know why.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My friend owns a Pet Shop; he owns 2. Im not a fan of water turtles, but these turtles are AWESOME! They are lightning fast when feeding.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
harris said:
I've had two, both at seperate times. They were both hatchlings when I acquired them. The first one made it to 5 years and the 2nd one to 4 years. Each of them died out of the blue. They were active and eating great, then overnight, poof, their gone. Come to find out afterwards I guess that is a known issue with the captives. Don't know why.

I have heard from someone else that they had the same type of issue, both of his died at 7 years old. That is a major bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.