Hatchling diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalCopper

5 Year Member
I just got my hatchling Sulcata, its name is Dexter. For his first meal, I gave him some spring mix and he ate like a champ. I bought some bok choy and collard greens today. My question is, how do I feed a hatchling bok choy? The stalk is so big, am I supposed to chop it up, or am I supposed to just give him the leafy parts? Does the same apply with the collard greens as well?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my leopard was a hatchling I would chop it into smaller pieces and would only give the smaller part of the stalk. As he got older and bigger I would make the chop bigger and would give the stalk, just not the really big ones. Also, don't forget to read Toms threads for proper raising a healthy, smooth sully.

MetalCopper

5 Year Member
I have had Dexter for almost two weeks now, he has been eating Spring mix, Collard greens, and Bok Choy. I have supplemented Reptical on two different occasions so far. I have read all of Tom's threads, I have seen the giant list of foods to feed. The problem is, I can't seem to find anything on the list, other than the stuff I listed and Mustard greens. Where can I find some of the other things on the list? The grocery stores only have so many options. I live in Minnesota, so my choices on year-round food may be limited, as well as his outdoor schedule as he gets older.

Is he OK on this diet, or do I need to have more variety?

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I'm in Wyoming, so have the same food situation as you! I also feed my guy spring mix, collard and mustard greens, and also mazuri tortoise food, which I soak and mix 50/50 with chopped grass form my yard. He is growing and eating like a champ. He is now 3 1/2 months old and has doubled in size since I got him mid-July.

MetalCopper

5 Year Member
How is the Mazuri intended to be used? Is it given everyday along with everything else, or is it an alternative to be given in rotation with other stuff?

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
I believe the mazuri is a supplement (meaning it shouldn't be all they are fed), but since grasses and weeds are supposed to be the main diet item as they mature, and the little ones don't seem to like grass, I find using the mazuri/grass mix a great way to get my guy eating grass. My plan is to reduce my mix little by little (more grass, less mazuri). Of course this reduction will be very gradual (years) as mine is not quite 4 months old. A varied diet is best, so they don't become finicky, picky eaters, which could result in them not getting proper nutrition.

griefold

5 Year Member
Your suggestion for the 50/50 mix sounds like a great idea. I am going to have to start trying that with my one month old sully. He does not like the dry Mazuri and so far I have not seen any suggestions on how to get him to eat more grass. When I have him outside he nibbles a little at the grass and weeds in my yard, but not enough. I have taken to giving my a couple days of collard greens and kale followed by a couple days of grass, rose leaves, and mulberry leaves mixed with fresh grass trimmings. The days of trimmings and leaves he does not eat as well. They can be picky eaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.