Hatchling Enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
We will be receiving our Gpp hatchling tomorrow and this is where he will spend his first year or so. I am going to try my best at duplicating the conditions that Tom has started these guys off on. Let me know if there is anything that I should be doing differently as far as set up goes.

ticotort004p.jpg

Left side is humid hide and slate basking spot.
Center is water and free space.
Right side is hide and feeding slate.

I will take more pics after Tico has settled in and is ready for the paparazzi to start flashing!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks fantastic. You've got every thing covered. It won't take him long to settle in. I bet he eats within minutes. I would expect him to try to eat those plants, so be careful if they are plastic, or something he shouldn't be eating.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow amazing set up, as Tom said, you've got every thing covered. Is that real fern? It looks very nice!

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
WOW...LOVE THE SET UP! you did an awsome job! cant wait to see the baby in it.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thanks everyone!! They are artificial plants for now, I will be going by the local organic nursery this weekend to look into some live plants. We welcomed little Mr. Tico to the house this morning!!! I'll be posting pics soon!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its beautiful! I only see on thing that I would do differently: dig away some of the substrate under the waterer so the lip sits flush with the substrate, and add some pebbles in the bottom of it in case he tips over backwards in the water. That makes it more shallow so he won't drown.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That looks so great. I love the little bamboo all around the tank. Reminds me of King Kong.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
You've done a nice job. I'm sure he/she will be very happy. What size tank is that?

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Cherbear not sure of the exact gallon size, got it off craigslist for $5. It's around 3 feet long by a little over 1 foot wide/high.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Wow it has come a looong way since your first pictures of it... Great job and I love the bamboo too it makes it look so much better!!!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I love the bamboo around the outside! I may try to find some for Betty! Looks like Tico will have a great place to call home : )

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
The bamboo is actually just little bamboo place mats I picked up at the dollar store and then cut them down to size, I used hot glue to attach it the bottom base on the outside. Tico is really loving it!! He had no problems making himself right at home and digging into both hides...I couldn't be happier with how much it seems he likes it!!

tico033p1.jpg

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
Do the torts ever mess with the thermometer thing? I see people putting it in their terrarium all the time. At least that must be waterproof lol. Makes me wonder...

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Narattah so far Tico just likes to look at them. We will see how these do with the wet conditions that I plan to keep them in. My cool end is averaging around 80 degrees with around 85-90% humidity level, no issues thus far with the moisture. I do plan on getting a temperature gun soon, seems a bit easier and more accurate. Thanks again to all who left comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.