Hatchling help

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I had gotten a hatchling 3 toed box turtle a few months back and it have a few concerns the first is I know hatchlings shells are soft but his is still soft is this regular I feed him every 2-3 days and he gets calcium dusted in his food once a week. His basking area is at about 85 and cool side 75 and around 70 at night. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393456498.955766.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393456527.510959.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393456565.372143.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393456597.132675.jpgHis substrate is repti-bark organic soil and coconut fiber he has a UVB lamp and a heatlamp that I leave on for about 12 hours he also gets soaked everytime he eats so again 2-3 days. Any help is appreciated and if I'm doing anything wrong correct me please.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
I'm not an expert on this type of torts, but of couple things do jump out about general hatchling care. If there more experienced tort peeps out there, please correct me.

He looks VERY thin. He's legs are thin, so he may not getting enough to eat. I would be feeding him daily, as much as he wants. I also noticed his temps may also be low for a baby that small. You need to change out your bulb. You need a bulb that gets him UV or get him outside for some sunshine so his shell gets some vitamin D
I would also cover it to keep the heat in. He also needs a water dish.
I know this seems like a lot, but this is what I see so far..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking needs too be 95+. Feed every day, more then what he can finish. UVB, do you have it? No coil type bulbs, they cause eye problems. If you can get him into the sunlight, do it for 30-60 minutes a day.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I do have a uvb just changed the light for a higher watt and I will start feeding daily thanks

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Also you might want to add some plants so he can hide. Search the forum for Terryo's vivarium she has for baby box turtles.