Hatchling Hermann tort coming tomorrow morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arielarenee

5 Year Member
By tomorrow morning my hatchling hermann tortoise will finally be here!! I already have his new home set up and ready to go. I've done alot of research so far so I know as much about him as I possibly can but I'm still a little weary on what exactly is the best thing to feed him. It seems as if so many people have different opinions on what to give.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone with hermann torts could help me out with there daily feeds and what exactly you feed to your tort!

- Thanks so much, Ariela

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
I feed my russian spring mix, occasionally some aloe vera, plantain, & I've given him apple once but it was only a treat.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
I feed my hatchlings a mix of dandelion greens, escarole, mustard greens, collards, clover, and some of backward weeds (look up on tortoisetable to see which are safe) mixed with a bit of mazuri. I feed 2x per day for the first year. Also make sure it use an ultrafine calcium supplement a few time a week and expose that tort to natural sunlight as much as possible.

I would recommend all buy some tort seed mix to grow some of your own food for your new friend.

Good luck!!!!! And post pics!!

arielarenee

5 Year Member
Thanks so much! Just went to the store and bought him a few things today I will have to see how it goes:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Broadleaf weeds are the best diet for him. Learn to ID the ones near you for a free, ideal food source, or you can buy seeds and grow your own.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. Congrats on your new family member! I just got 2 adult Eastern Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] a little over a month ago. Here's a good place to start learning about good and bad plants and flowers: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Good luck!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Congratulations !! You will love them, they are super cool tortoises. May I ask where did you order it from?

I feed my dalmation Hermans a mix of mazuri tortoise diet, weeds n grasses, and once in a while "spring mix". At least 80% of their diet should be natural grasses and weeds. Keep us updated

arielarenee

5 Year Member
I got him from turtleshack.com. And I got so nervous after I ordered him because I seen all of the bad reviews but a few days later I got my tortoise and he's seems to be in great shape to me! Thanks so much for all the advice everyone:)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376774903.676079.jpg

I think I'm going to name him tork! I'm hoping he's a boy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
He's a cutie!

Might just be my screen, but what's purple on him?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

arielarenee

5 Year Member
When he got shipped they kept him in a little container with purple packing. So some of it stuck to him! It's all off now though:) the only thing I'm a little concerned about is that he still hasn't eaten. I got him yesterday and he doesn't seem to be interested in anything I give him.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
What gave you tried feeding him so far? And what are his living area temperatures? Hot spot? Cool side?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Did you soak him in warm water, as soon as you got him?

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

arielarenee

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376788229.836274.jpg

The left is his cool side and right is his warm basking area. It's a 50 gallon tank so he has more then enough room to roam around. I put a aloe Vera and non prickly cactus in his tank because I was told they eat them in the wild. And I've been trying to start him off on the food turtle shack gave me because I figured he was already used to that. I also grinded up a very small peice of carrot to see if he would be interested in that also. If I'm doing anything wrong please tell me! I've had many aquatic turtles but this is my first tortoise so I'm still learning.

Jabuticaba said:
Did you soak him in warm water, as soon as you got him?

I didn't soak him right away just because I didn't want to stress him out too much. But I left some water in his tank and then soaked him right away this morning. I put a tiny bit of water in the container and he stuck his head under the water numerous times so I'm guessing that is his way of drinking?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Drinking is a good sign. Did you ask the breeder/seller what sort of food he was on? Maybe he's just not used to the foods you're offering him.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would try placing any common grasses and weeds that you can find to see if it eats them. Some "spring mix" lettuce isn't an ideal food but may entice it to start eating. My young dalmations Hermans love mazuri tortoise diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.