Hatchling Leo

chasestella

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth
Hello! I'm new here. I just got my first Leo a few months ago. And I LOVE her!!!! She (I recognize she could very possibly be a he ;)) hatched in March. I've read thru a lot of these threads over the past few months and they've been really helpful! I still have several questions though:
1. I've see that it is recommended to keep the humidity at 80%. I can barely keep mine at 60%. And when I'm gone for the day it dips down to as low as 45%. I do use moss already. Perhaps not the right kind to hold in moisture? How are you all keeping yours so high? My Leo drinks a lot of water. I'm worried that it might be too dry for her.
2. She seems to be a picky eater. I've tried a lot of greens, and she only likes collard greens, kale, rose leaves, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, chard, and clovers. I never see her eating grass or weeds in her outside enclosure, and I bought her Timothy hay and she wouldn't touch it! She also hates the Mazuri pellets. I've tried them dry, damp, I even copied a tutorial where they made these Mazuri meatball type things and covered it with greens, and she simply picked off the greens! So with that said, is what she's eating ok? Do you recommend me adding any particular foods?
3. I'm worried about her not having enough calcium intake. I've tried the powder and the spray, and when I put that in her foods I see her turn away. I'm assuming there is a flavor she doesn't like??? Is there any truth to adding calcium to her soaks so she can absorb it that way? It seems like that might be too go to be true!
4. She never poops when I soak her. And I've read over and over that is when they go. When cleaning her enclosure I have seen a little in there, but is there something wrong if she never goes when I soak her?
5. Do you guys take your Leos to the vet just as like a well visit? Or just when there is something wrong? I'm taking my bird to the vet in a month I was wondering if should bring my little Stella (my torts name).
Thanks so much! And sorry for such a long post!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If you cover the habitat it helps to keep the cooler house air out and the warm, moist air inside.

I chop up the food and mix it with a little grated cucumber, which they all seem to love. When all the greens smell like cucumber, they eat their greens. What kinds of greens are you offering?

You should only sprinkle a tiny pinch of calcium over the food two or three times a week. I sprinkle the calcium into the grated cucumber then mash it with a fork to get it wet, then mix it all up. They don't like the smell or taste of calcium, so you have to disguise it.

Maybe you aren't leaving her in the water long enough. Use a small tub/bowl with tall sides that she can't climb out of and put enough water to come to the middle of her sides. Leave her in there for about 15 minutes.

A well baby visit isn't a bad idea. This get the baby's stats on a record. But it's not mandatory, and really not necessary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I'm new here. I just got my first Leo a few months ago. And I LOVE her!!!! She (I recognize she could very possibly be a he ;)) hatched in March. I've read thru a lot of these threads over the past few months and they've been really helpful! I still have several questions though:
1. I've see that it is recommended to keep the humidity at 80%. I can barely keep mine at 60%. And when I'm gone for the day it dips down to as low as 45%. I do use moss already. Perhaps not the right kind to hold in moisture? How are you all keeping yours so high? My Leo drinks a lot of water. I'm worried that it might be too dry for her.
2. She seems to be a picky eater. I've tried a lot of greens, and she only likes collard greens, kale, rose leaves, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, chard, and clovers. I never see her eating grass or weeds in her outside enclosure, and I bought her Timothy hay and she wouldn't touch it! She also hates the Mazuri pellets. I've tried them dry, damp, I even copied a tutorial where they made these Mazuri meatball type things and covered it with greens, and she simply picked off the greens! So with that said, is what she's eating ok? Do you recommend me adding any particular foods?
3. I'm worried about her not having enough calcium intake. I've tried the powder and the spray, and when I put that in her foods I see her turn away. I'm assuming there is a flavor she doesn't like??? Is there any truth to adding calcium to her soaks so she can absorb it that way? It seems like that might be too go to be true!
4. She never poops when I soak her. And I've read over and over that is when they go. When cleaning her enclosure I have seen a little in there, but is there something wrong if she never goes when I soak her?
5. Do you guys take your Leos to the vet just as like a well visit? Or just when there is something wrong? I'm taking my bird to the vet in a month I was wondering if should bring my little Stella (my torts name).
Thanks so much! And sorry for such a long post!

Hello and welcome.

I'll answer your question in order.
1. This is too dry. If you continue on this way, your baby will pyramid. The sooner you fix it, the less pyramiding will occur. The problem is the open top of your enclosure. It can't hold in heat and humidity and its very inefficient. You need a closed chamber. Read this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

I would also not use moss. Every leopard I've ever raised tries to eat it.
2. This is often a function of how the breeder starts them. Many breeders just use romaine since its easy and they eat it. Then the new owner (you) has a heck of a time getting them to eat new things. Regular leopards are usually not fond of grass, and will seldom eat grass hay. Ignore all the text about grass and skip to the list of other foods here for more feeding ideas: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Mazuri is good. I would continue to offer it. Soak it until its mushy.
The assortment you do have her eating is pretty good, but try for more variety.
3. I don't think calcium soaks do much. Most people try to put too much on the food. You only need a tiny little pinch a couple times a week. With the diet you are feeding, I don't think calcium supplementation is critical right now. As your tortoise puts on size and the appetite picks up, you can try to add the calcium then. Your tortoise will to always be this picky. When they get into a growth spurt, they get ravenous and during those times it will be easier to introduce new foods and supplements.
4. This is unusual. How long are you soaking? How deep is the water? Water temperature? Show us a pic of the soaking tub.
5. This is debatable. Some people feel like it is good to have your pet in the system, so that if there is any trouble, you already have a relationship with your vet. The problem is that most vets know very little about tortoise care, and they give incorrect advice or treatments like the dreaded "vitamin injections". Use caution if you decide to take your baby. I would say it is not worth the stress if nothing is wrong.

This one might help too: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

chasestella

Fort Worth
I really appreciate taking the time to write such thorough replies!

Yvonne, I have been using just a tiny pinch of calcium. I did though buy some cucumber and prepare it as you suggested, and she did eat some! The foods I can get her to eat right now are collard greens, kale, rose leaves, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, chard, and clovers. That is it. I hadn't tried any veggies till just now since there really isn't much nutritional value. However, if it gets her to eat other things, than that's great!

I think the issue might be that I'm not putting enough water in it. I don't think I'm making it deep enough. I put her in warm water for 20 minutes and the sides are plenty tall for her not to get out. It's in the dishwasher right now, or I'd send a pic. I could make it deeper, and the sides are plenty tall, I just didn't think I should. I'm going to try it as you suggested tomorrow.

Tom, I'll keep trying the mushy Mazuri. Hopefully she'll change her mind. I have the list of foods, but are there any in particular that you have had good luck with that I didn't mention? I want to try some that Opuntia cactus, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Also Tom, I thought if you completely cover the enclosure (right now it is half screen, and half plastic cover) it would not allow there to be micro-climates, and sort of cause a green house effect? I will say though, she has 2 hides and also a plant to hide under. However, her hides aren't as enclosed as the care sheet recommended (One is a hollow log, and the other a sideways planter). I'm sure I could keep the inside of a hide as described humid enough. She doesn't try and eat the moss, she just uses it to sort of burrow at night. However, if it could potentially be hazardous and doesn't help with humidity, I can take it out.

Again, thank you so much for the advice! I'm sure you grow tired of similar questions from new owners!

chasestella

Fort Worth
Oh and I'll just skip the vet visit for her then. I have two herp vets in my phone in case of emergencies, but I'll just keep it at that.

SoCal

Which type of Mazuri are you using, the regular or the LS? Mine would not touch the LS but go straight to the regular when I feed it.. I had to order the regular Mazuri, pet store only carries the little bag of LS.

chasestella

Fort Worth
Which type of Mazuri are you using, the regular or the LS? Mine would not touch the LS but go straight to the regular when I feed it.. I had to order the regular Mazuri, pet store only carries the little bag of LS.
Really??? I didn't even know there were 2 types. Yeah we have LS. I'll have to check and see if they have the other type at the store. Otherwise I'll order some on the internet also. Thanks!