Hatchling Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, so Im in the process of preparing for my first leopard hatchling that Im getting from Tom, Very excited! But I had a quick question regarding my enclosure, for now it will be in a 20 gallon tank until i move the redfoot into the outdoor enclosure, and can put the hatchling in the bigger one, is cypress mulch a suitable subtrate?

Also any advice you can offer is apprecaited thanks!

-Joseph :D

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Yes cypress is a good subtrate It's what I use my leo's seem to like it to :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like cypress mulch. But my first choice is orchid bark. If you have an Orchard Supply Hardware in your town, they sell orchid bark. Be sure to get the "fine" grade. Easier for babies to walk on.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
To be honest, I have gone from preferring coconut coir to just plain old dirt with a layer of sphagnum moss on the surface. I use regular old organic topsoil, $2 a bag from Home Depot.

Cypress mulch however will work just fine if that is what you already have.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
Yeah I've already got a big ol' bag in the garage lol thanks guys! :D

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
I have 2 leopard hatchlings and they're on a layer of soil topped with a layer of cypress. I've only had them a couple of months but they seem happy as can be. The often enjoy digging themselves in for a nap.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
awesome! I couldnt be more excited haha about how long does it take until they get, well...HUGE lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leopards are not usually fast growers and "huge" is a relative term. You are talking like a sulcata owner. Hahahaha. :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I recomend planting some tortoise grazing mix, or some kind of edible plants in your enclosure. This way the tortoise will always have fresh food available. If your substrate is just cypress you could burry some small clay pots or shallow plastic trays filled with dirt and grow the seeds in there.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
Sorry i havent replied guys, been busy with midterms, work, and trying to buy a car T____T

hahaha alright i will rephrase that bout how long does it take them to reach full grown adult size?

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
jsphr90 said:
Sorry i havent replied guys, been busy with midterms, work, and trying to buy a car T____T

hahaha alright i will rephrase that bout how long does it take them to reach full grown adult size?

PICS!!!!

lol
:tort:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
jsphr90 said:

Anywhere from 5 - 8 years in captivity leopards will typically be big enough to successfully breed. They will still grow for awhile after that. You're probably looking at as long as 15 - 20 years before it's growth will start to slow down. Leopards have been known to continue growing for longer periods of time than some of their African cousins like the sulcata. (not that they get bigger than sulcatas)

Status
Not open for further replies.