hatchling questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEm1991

5 Year Member
I never owned a hatching, but I seen one this guy was selling and he/she doesn't look happy, I think this is another pet store failure, i'm tempted to pay him and take the baby, but I have no experience. any suggestions?

DoubleEm1991

5 Year Member
DoubleEm1991 said:
I never owned a hatching, but I seen one this guy was selling and he/she doesn't look happy, I think this is another pet store failure, i'm tempted to pay him and take the baby, but I have no experience. any suggestions?

Nothing?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Read anything and everything on these guys. I've been reading stuff on these guys for over a year. Read Toms posts on beginners and posts on sulcata. I don't have one, but I'm looking into it currently! Read away!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
The best you can do is browse around in the forum for information. Take a look at the sulcata care sheets. Since the sulcata might be sick, there might be huge vet cost after you get him. They do grow huge and require a lot of care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DoubleEm1991 said:

Don't.

If you pay money for this one they will use your money to buy another one wholesale and do the same thing to it. Don't buy it, and tell them why you are not buying it. Nicely if at all possible. If you don't feel like you can explain it well enough, PM me their phone number and I'll be happy to talk to them.

If you want a sulcata, start with a healthy, properly started one. A lot of the "rescued" tortoise situations end in tragedy after hundreds in vet bills.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Do yourself a favor, and don't get him. Healthy hatchlings are difficult enough for beginners, let alone one in questionable health. I wouldn't recommend a pet shop tortoise, period.

DoubleEm1991

5 Year Member
I don't do pet shop ones, but let me tell you all my knowledge tells me not to give money to people like this, but after starting at this poor baby it makes you just want to save him...

Anyway someone else beat me to him. Luckily, according to the previous owner they are a experienced couple who rescues hatchings. I hope so. The man told me he won't do it again, this was his first and last, he bought it from a pet store.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I find this statement curious "rescues hatchlings" In my experience most hatchlings don't need rescue, not until they get older. Just makes me wonder is all.

DoubleEm1991

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I find this statement curious "rescues hatchlings" In my experience most hatchlings don't need rescue, not until they get older. Just makes me wonder is all.

Rescues sulcatas... Sorry I had the word hatching on my mind. I would love a healthy one. I just have a soft spot for the sick and hurt :(

Status
Not open for further replies.