Hatchling with constipation/blockage - info only

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
All,
I thought someone out there may benefit from the experience I recently had. On June 2 during daily bath time I notice one of my Redfoot hatchlings (month old) had way too much trying to come out of its rear-end (see pic). He was trying like crazy but to no avail. Over the next week I soaked him 3-5 times a day and coated his food with mineral oil.

Around day 7 there was still no movement so I took him to my vet. Vet note: she's not a reptile vet, and does not claim to be. We research together and decide on a path forward. We numbed the area (topicly) and tried working it out with Saline and cotton swabs. We didn't get much out and stopped on the conservative side so we did not make it worse. During this entire time since the blockage he acted and ate completely normal.

I continued the soakings and coating food with mineral oil. After 10 days the blockage came out. I went through it and there was nothing significant in it. I don't know what caused the blockage. The other 10 hatchlings were not affected in any way.

Hope my experience helps someone else at some point.

Attachments

• red_rear1.jpg
    red_rear1.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 17