Have a Heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I read that Artichoke is good for my torts. Did not find any except for the Artichoke Hearts in a jar. They are packed in water. It does have salt,citric and ascorbic acid to preserve color. Would it be ok for them? Could I just rinse them?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Perfectly fine to feed atrichoke to your tortoise. You do though want to find fresh artichokes in the produce section and not the canned variety to feed to your tortoise.

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
interesting i have always feed them the leaves off of my artichoke plants but never the artichoke itself, probably because I like them to much to share.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Artichokes in my house don't usually make it past the spinach and artichoke dip to the tortoise enclosure - I do however feed any raw scraps or leftovers, of any veggie that I have, to the torts.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I think only the leaves should be fed, the bulb wouldn't be too appealing to the tortoise. Don't feed the canned ones, like what Danny said. Salt, acid, and preservatives are no way a regular part of a tort diet.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Why would the bulb not be appealing? I feed whole squashes, cabbage hearts, collard stalks and other "hard" veggies all the time. It helps to maintain trim beaks.

Four little Russians going to town on a whole squash is quite a sight to see.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
I will look to enjoy the jar of artichoke hearts for myself. I will go shopping and buy the fresh ones for the torts. Thanks

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
I went and bought 2 artichokes, and cut them up. The torts seemed to like them, but It did not seem they were able to get a bite. Should I steam or boil them? My torts are 4-5 inches.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
myrtle651 said:
I went and bought 2 artichokes, and cut them up. The torts seemed to like them, but It did not seem they were able to get a bite. Should I steam or boil them? My torts are 4-5 inches.

The torts are big enough to eat raw artichoke. Maybe try feeding the leaves first, then chop up the bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.