Having two different species of Tortoise

kirdy

Hello All!
So I have my little Russian Tort and I love him so much! Henry is doing so well! I am pondering the thought of getting a Salcata as well. Can I keep them in the same enclosure why the Salcata is a babe? Also, the biggest reason for me not getting a Salcata yet is that I currently live in a rental house (big back yard). I feel like since I don't own a house and my life is currently unpredictable with where I will live in the next 5 years (I'm 24 and love moving around), a big tort may not be the best choice.

I appreciate your impute!
=)

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
no keep in the same enclosure is not good. 1. spread of disease between the two species. 2. the russian will trample the baby sulcata and injure it. 3. different dietary and housing needs. if you don't know where you will be in 5 years i would not recommend getting a sulcata in five years you could have a 50 pound sulcata, these guys grow fast!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should never be mixed.

Russians are infamous for carrying all sort of nasty bugs that they seem immune to. Other species are not so immune. I am all for having more tortoises, just house them separately and be very careful about any sort of cross contamination.

As far as instability and moving around, I would not let that stop me. Just make sure where ever you go the tortoise can come with you and have what it needs. Having a giant tortoise will limit your options. You won't be moving to a NY high rise apt with a balcony and no yard, in other words.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
What they said in regards to mixing species.

As for the rental situation as a hatchling there wouldn't be any issues. However when they get large they can tare up lawns, bust sprinkler systems, and ruin every bit of landscaping possible. As a renter you will be held accountable for that damage so I would have a plan to own in the future or like Tom said, your options will be very limited.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with all above, except, knowing your going to move around, it would be much easier without the large sulcata to worry about. Of course, it will be probably about 3-4 years give or take before it should live outside 24/7, so you do have some time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If done correctly a sulcata will need to be moved outside in 12-18 months. They reach 8-10" by that age. Its pretty difficult to keep a 10" sulcata in an indoor enclosure. At least for me it is.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oops, sorry, I thought you had said before, a few years ago, that it was around 3 years give or take. The pics I have seen, they just don't look that big. Must be the difference of started out right to not. I guess you wouldnt have quite so much time after all.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
no keep in the same enclosure is not good. 1. spread of disease between the two species. 2. the russian will trample the baby sulcata and injure it. 3. different dietary and housing needs. if you don't know where you will be in 5 years i would not recommend getting a sulcata in five years you could have a 50 pound sulcata, these guys grow fast!
Very well put Nick! ! ! !