Soaked too long! Terrible mother!

MarzBarz

Location (City and/or State)
Prescott, AZ
Hi everyone! I'm a new tortoise mom and may have put a death wish on my poor little salcata. I was soaking him before I left for work and forgot :'( he was soaking for about 7 hours before I was able to reach someone at the house. My dad said he was ok (still alive) and put him in his enclosure. He was walking around just fine. My question is, do I need to take him to the vet? I'm afraid he's going to get an uper respiratory infection or worse. I feel so terrible :( he's about a year old.

Thank you-

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should be no problem at all. A friend of mine used to soak his for 6-7 hours every day in a kiddie pool outside in his hot dry climate. He wanted them to get sun and exercise, but not get all dried out and dehydrated. His babies all thrived. Some of the healthiest I've seen.

I know people who have forgotten them in soak water overnight. No problem. Doesn't hurt a thing.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Go into your user profile and put in a location so we all know where you are.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have forgotten my leopards several times. Not sure if that long, but long where the water was cold. When I remembered them, I would soak them in warm water just for a minute or two and then back into their warm enclosure. All survived with not one getting sick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Now I see your location! I love Prescott. Spent a week there while attending a training facility a few years back.

MarzBarz

Prescott, AZ
Here's the little guy. He's roaming around his enclosure and eating like crazy :)

And Prescott is amazing! I love it and I'll never leave!

Attachments

• 20170829_180304.jpg
    20170829_180304.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Hope your tort is fine now.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Sure, it's good to be reassured that your tortoise will be OK after his long soak!

SteveW

One time when Sid was about a year old, a hose came off a nearby aquatic tank and filled his closed chamber to the lid. Judging by when the GFIs in the timers went off, this happened around midnight. 6 hours later I find him in the dark, in about two feet of water, with almost no airspace, just hanging out, paddling around. He was so stressed out he didn't eat for almost 2 minutes.
Hopefully, this makes you feel better.

SteveW

One time when Sid was about a year old, a hose came off a nearby aquatic tank and filled his closed chamber to the lid. Judging by when the GFIs in the timers went off, this happened around midnight. 6 hours later I find him in the dark, in about two feet of water, with almost no airspace, just hanging out, paddling around. He was so stressed out he didn't eat for almost 2 minutes.

It should be noted that Sid is a M.e.e and not a sulcatta, but still, serious neglect on my part.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

2 whole minutes??? The Horror… the horror...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everyone! I'm a new tortoise mom and may have put a death wish on my poor little salcata. I was soaking him before I left for work and forgot :'( he was soaking for about 7 hours before I was able to reach someone at the house. My dad said he was ok (still alive) and put him in his enclosure. He was walking around just fine. My question is, do I need to take him to the vet? I'm afraid he's going to get an uper respiratory infection or worse. I feel so terrible :( he's about a year old.

Thank you-
Hi! How is your tort now? Hope he is well, and that YOU have calmed down. :<3: