I'm Worried About Chop

ChopMother

Location (City and/or State)
Miami Gardens, FL 33056
When i first got my tortoise he was was very active and always ready to eat now some time ago he stopped eating but would remain active when i take him outside to get some sun. I took him to the vet and he said my tortoise was dehydrated because lack of food so he gave me a syringe to feed my baby tortoise. As of today he still wont eat by himself but he's very active once we take him out in the sun. Well he tries to find a corner to fall to sleep in. I'm so worried but I've been feeding him and soaking him daily. Also my husband think he has a mouth infection... HELP

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
When i first got my tortoise he was was very active and always ready to eat now some time ago he stopped eating but would remain active when i take him outside to get some sun. I took him to the vet and he said my tortoise was dehydrated because lack of food so he gave me a syringe to feed my baby tortoise. As of today he still wont eat by himself but he's very active once we take him out in the sun. Well he tries to find a corner to fall to sleep in. I'm so worried but I've been feeding him and soaking him daily. Also my husband think he has a mouth infection... HELP

Welcome to the forum!
We are going to need some info.
What lighting do you use?
What is your basking temp, hot side temp, cool side temp, and night temp?
How long have you had him?
What is your humidity?
How often do you soak?
Some pictures would help us greatly. Please supply pictures of your tort and enclosure.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

ChopMother

Miami Gardens, FL 33056
I use a 75 temp basking light for the day and he has a night bulb but i can't remember the temp right now. I got chop on December 11 2017 i've been having my husband to soak him everyday and take him outside to get sun

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
In your enclosure, your tortoise needs humidity of 80%+.
You should not use heating pads, because tortoises have evolved to take heat from their back. They do not have heat receptors on their bellies, and can easily be burned.
We need to know the temps, because inactivity is almost always caused by temps that are too low.
Your temps need to be no lower than 80 at all times, with a basking spot of 96-100.
Did you read those links?
We need pictures :)

Last edited: