Upsetting sulcata.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
There's a new toy store that opened up downtown where I live and all my coworkers kept talking about this huge tortoise that they have on display in the window there. So yesterday before I had to go in to work I decided to go see how "huge" this tortoise was. Once I got there my heart sank for the little guy. He's about a year and a half old and in a pen in the window that's maybe 3'X3'. He has some terrible pyramiding on his shell and there were many chipped and flakey spots. He had enough room to walk 2 or 3 steps and then he would have to turn around. I really hope he's not always in that window. It must be a terrible life for him. I'm about to up my baby sulcata's pen because I feel it is getting too small for him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should contact the store manager and explain to them about the poor enclosure for the tortoise and that they are a toy to be displayed in a window. The manager, may not know anything about caring for the tort. They most likely are renting it from someone. If that's the case, then make sure the tort has sufficient water available and that he is not trapped in the sun, should it shine through the window. If the store manager, does not see to it, to better the environment, let him/her know you will protest their store. At this time of year, that would be a very bad thing.

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
You can also go as far as seeing if they have the correct permits to have a live reptile in a non-pet store. Fact is, any egg bearers can carry salmonella, and I'm betting the owner doesn't realize that. I wouldn't want a herp at a toy store with small children running around.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Yea, I've been thinking about what to do for the poor guy. The store is owned by a pretty famous guy here. He has a show for kids and animals are always in it. So I'd imagine he'd have all the papers he needs. And the manager was there yesterday and didn't seem interested in the tortoise at all. The tortoise is also owned by the guy who owns the store. And we're a pretty big tourist town so protesting wouldn't do much unfortunately. I thought of offering the tortoise a home where he would be cared for properly, but apparently he's "the most famous tortoise in Georgia" but I haven't found anything on the Internet about him. I'm at a loss. I may try to send a message to the owner of the store via Facebook. It's worth a shot.

I just emailed the guy. Hopefully I'll get something back in a few days. And another thing that worried me was that there was only fruit in his food bowl. And I know fruit is a big no no for these guys.

Oh and if anyone here lives around the savannah ga area and would like to see his conditions for themselves, pm me and I'll tell you where it is.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hope you area able to find a constructive way to help this tortoise get a bigger enclosure and a better diet.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
LunaLupus said:
You can also go as far as seeing if they have the correct permits to have a live reptile in a non-pet store. Fact is, any egg bearers can carry salmonella, and I'm betting the owner doesn't realize that. I wouldn't want a herp at a toy store with small children running around.

Anything living carries many different type of Salmonella.......I would be more concerned about little Johnny who didn't was his hands after using the bathroom and touching everything in the store than I would a Tortoise.......

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Well, it's been a while, but I finally got a response from the tortoise's owner. He assured me that Thor, the tort, was in perfect health per a visit from 3 vets from the largest zoo in American. (failed to mention the name of the zoo) and from what I've seen at several zoos, sometimes their definition of healthy is not the same as mine. Not saying all zoos are this way of course.

He also failed to answer my important questions, such as "is he always in the window" "does he have a large enclosure outside the shop" and other similar questions. I wish there was something I could do for this tort. But unfortunately his owner won't listen. I hate walking by that shop and seeing him in that window on my way to work. I don't think he is aware of how quickly these guys grow. And when I first got Chomper I didn't know either. But thanks to all of you guys on here I am fully aware of what I've gotten in to with adopting I'm. And I am ready for the responsibility of owning one of the largest tortoise species in the world.

Just wan to say thank you to all who have helped me with the proper care of Chomper, I would be lost without your advice! And Chomper wouldn't be as healthy as he is now. I can't wait to see how he grows with the advice I have been given. I ow he'll be beautiful

argus333

5 Year Member
call the aspca now... let them know the one by me has turtle adoptions. and are understanding about sulcata needs.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Send a picture of his tortoise to the owner next to a picture of Tom's and say that Tom's is what it should look like.

It is sad that someone would use a tortoise as a gimmick (spelling) like that. :(

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I honestly don't think he would care because of what the vets say. I'll try to get a pic of him next time I go to work.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Have you considered calling a news station in the area? Here in San Diego we have a guy who does the Turko files. For people who have been mislead or jipped out of money. Some stations also have a animal person that comes on for weekly shows about their animals. Hope you get him help I am sure the little guy is giving you some sleepless nights.

Scott

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I would assume they do not have a larger enclosure for the tortoise, or the store owner would almost certainly mention it in his own defense.

Find their store on Yelp (or any similar sites) and post a review about what's going on. Describe the health impacts caused by this sort of treatment. I would include how pyramidding is a distinct sign of poor care and an unhealthy tortoise, then mention how this particular tortoise is significantly pyramidded. Anybody who reads that is going to look for the pyramidding the next time they visit the store, and will remember what you wrote. Then perhaps more people will complain.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Well, went back to the shop to see how the tort was, and it's still just as bad... And I'm not sure if this was present when I was there last, but he was missing an entire pyramided scute. I will try to snap a picture next time I'm down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.