Hay as food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalgodric

5 Year Member
Just wondering when we should start giving Bodhi hay in his diet...I have read that they will not eat it younger than one year and we just had Bodhi's birthday...I have put some in his greens but Im not sure if hes eating any yet

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
If you mix it with other greens or mazuri it works. I soak it in warm water for a while. Then mix it. But make sure you cut it up. Its tedious, but if they eat it...its worth it

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Kalgodric said:
Just wondering when we should start giving Bodhi hay in his diet...I have read that they will not eat it younger than one year and we just had Bodhi's birthday...I have put some in his greens but Im not sure if hes eating any yet

Not true at all! I was told by the breeder that the Sudans love Orchard grass hay...and guess what? They eat more Orchard hay than Mazuri...but I recommend for the finicky tort that you try mixed chopped hay in WITH their Mazuri! It's a good start...and let us know how they fare!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I use Timothy hay pellets that a horse breeder friend of mine gives me. That way I don't have to chop up hay to mix in his food. Just soak the pellets, like Mazuri, and then I can add it to his greens or to Mazuri.

Carlos83

5 Year Member
Fontana CA
Dizisdalife said:
I use Timothy hay pellets that a horse breeder friend of mine gives me. That way I don't have to chop up hay to mix in his food. Just soak the pellets, like Mazuri, and then I can add it to his greens or to Mazuri.

Where can I get them pellets from:D

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Cee83 said:
Dizisdalife said:

I get the small amounts that I use from a friend that raises horses. He also gives me regular hay, Timothy, bermuda, and orchard grass. If his wife would let him he would give me the horses too. The feed store that I buy Mazuri at has hay pellets for sale, but since they only sell 50 lb bags I just stick to getting a couple of pounds every month for free. You might search on the internet for a feed store near you or order online. I found several sites that sell 10 lb bags. Here is one that looks good because it is just hay and no additives. I would avoid any of them that have sugar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-lb-TIMOTHY-HAY-PELLETS-Rabbit-Chinchilla-Guinea-Pig-/370492543237

Carlos83

5 Year Member
Fontana CA
Dizisdalife said:
Cee83 said:
Dizisdalife said:

I get the small amounts that I use from a friend that raises horses. He also gives me regular hay, Timothy, bermuda, and orchard grass. If his wife would let him he would give me the horses too. The feed store that I buy Mazuri at has hay pellets for sale, but since they only sell 50 lb bags I just stick to getting a couple of pounds every month for free. You might search on the internet for a feed store near you or order online. I found several sites that sell 10 lb bags. Here is one that looks good because it is just hay and no additives. I would avoid any of them that have sugar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-lb-TIMOTHY-HAY-PELLETS-Rabbit-Chinchilla-Guinea-Pig-/370492543237
Great thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.