Healthy and happy?

jennycooper77

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi! I am looking for some advice about my red foot tortoises. I have 2 red foots and I live in Georgia. I do have indoor and outdoor pens for both. They are kept separate. My question is would they be healthier and happier living somewhere (possibly a sanctuary in Florida) where they could live outside all year round? I love them so much and do not want to re-home them but I do want them to have the best life possible. If I am going to keep them in Georgia I would like some advice on upgrading their indoor enclosures. Basically some examples of what others have done that is working well for their red foots. I appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are lots of tortoises of all species living in many different states. I don't think they need to live in Florida to be healthy or happy. It's about what you can do for them, temp, humidity, diet, etc and having the proper space to give them that will make them happy and healthy.
I don't have RF to show you an enclosure but @ZEROPILOT lives in Florida and can show some outdoor areas and @Maggie3fan can help with indoor quarters

jennycooper77

Georgia
There are lots of tortoises of all species living in many different states. I don't think they need to live in Florida to be healthy or happy. It's about what you can do for them, temp, humidity, diet, etc and having the proper space to give them that will make them happy and healthy.
I don't have RF to show you an enclosure but @ZEROPILOT lives in Florida and can show some outdoor areas and @Maggie3fan can help with indoor quarters
Thank you so much! I love them and am constantly striving to learn everything I can to provide them the best care. I am so happy to have found this forum. There is truly so much conflicting information out there and it is hard to know what if any is correct. I feel confident that I can get the information I am seeking here. Thanks again!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My Layla lives in a mini greenhouse over a tort table...And she lives in the PacificNorthWest and any RedFoot would LOVE to live in GeorgiaDSCN1708.JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd keep them in Georgia before I'd risk any "rescue" in Florida.
It's been my experience that most tortoises in "rescues" need rescuing.
Florida. South Florida. Is a particularly great place to keep Redfoot. Especially if you're lazy like I am. They can be outside all day. Every day. My area has few predators. But Redfoot can be kept just about any where. It just requires more work to get everything set up.
I'll attach an old YOUTUBE video of my primary outdoors enclosure. It's still in use and was very inexpensive.

jennycooper77

Georgia
I'd keep them in Georgia before I'd risk any "rescue" in Florida.
It's been my experience that most tortoises in "rescues" need rescuing.
Florida. South Florida. Is a particularly great place to keep Redfoot. Especially if you're lazy like I am. They can be outside all day. Every day. My area has few predators. But Redfoot can be kept just about any where. It just requires more work to get everything set up.
I'll attach an old YOUTUBE video of my primary outdoors enclosure. It's still in use and was very inexpensive.

Wow! Thank you so much! This is great and gives me much more confidence about providing them a great home.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi! I am looking for some advice about my red foot tortoises. I have 2 red foots and I live in Georgia. I do have indoor and outdoor pens for both. They are kept separate. My question is would they be healthier and happier living somewhere (possibly a sanctuary in Florida) where they could live outside all year round? I love them so much and do not want to re-home them but I do want them to have the best life possible. If I am going to keep them in Georgia I would like some advice on upgrading their indoor enclosures. Basically some examples of what others have done that is working well for their red foots. I appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.
Where in GA are you located?

We have another TFO member who lives in GA (northeast Atlanta suburbs) who keeps redfoots. Perhaps he can give you some ideas.
@Toddrickfl1

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I live in Oregon, so my weather is ...different...but inside might be the same..
I keep 1 Redfoot in a mini greenhouse...DSCN2323.JPG
My Redfoot is 3 years old and seems pretty happy here...the temp stays about 85 and warmer with 85 to 90% humidity...she is pretty active...DSCN2470.JPG
she's soaking...DSCN2433.JPGand this is what happensDSCN2429.JPG
Now that winter is almost gone I have been working on an outside enclosure for her...pictures will follow..DSCN2385.JPG.