Healthy Russian Tort?

UpsideDownTort

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I have anxiety so I always worry about how my little guy is doing. He's roughly 3 or 4 years old. I have his lights on one side which basking temp is about 95F and his normal side is about 75F. Do his eyes look healthy? He's active and likes to be handled. Like I said I just worry a lot. Thank you!20171231_104517.jpg20171231_104558.jpg

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I have anxiety so I always worry about how my little guy is doing. He's roughly 3 or 4 years old. I have his lights on one side which basking temp is about 95F and his normal side is about 75F. Do his eyes look healthy? He's active and likes to be handled. Like I said I just worry a lot. Thank you!View attachment 226458View attachment 226459
Those front nails are quite long; they're clearly due for trimming. Does his environment offer space to dig? Sulcatas are famous for their digging. This activity helps keep the nails trimmed naturally.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
I disagree, the nails are perfectly fine. Russians have longer nails in order to dig deep.

From these pictures, he looks fine. If you really want more help, post some pictures of your enclosure.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Those front nails are quite long; they're clearly due for trimming. Does his environment offer space to dig? Sulcatas are famous for their digging. This activity helps keep the nails trimmed naturally.
Yeah, that's not a Sulcata. His nails are just fine, and should not be trimmed.

Your tortoise looks very good. May we see a photo of his enclosure?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! I’d say your tort is at least a little older than three. He’s wild caught so would have been four to five years old when you got him, perhaps more.

I think it’s probably just the angle of the photos but his beak might be the teeny tiniest bit overgrown; nothing bad. Could you get a side view of the beak?