Hello need help for inactive russian tortoise!

RussianNinja

Location (City and/or State)
Loudon
Hello my name is jeff. Just got a russian tortoise about a week ago and unless I move him for a soak or to his food dish. I don't think he'd ever move. He's always buried in the substrate. Sometimes awake sometimes asleep. He seems to be healthy. And im pretty sure he's parameters are correct. Any suggestions?
Basking temp 97*f
Cool side 72*f
Substrate cypress mulch mixed w eco earth coconut fiber...

15436249293923204496281108909080.jpg

RussianNinja

Loudon
That's what I was thinking/ hoping. His shell is 4 inches. Unfortunately I got him from petsmart. They said they get them from a captive breeder not sure if that's the truth. Will post a picture once I figure it out...

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome to the forum. We have a great Russian Tortoises section here. Unfortunately, if they gave you info, it may not be right. Your temps seem good. What are you using for lights? What are you using for a heat source? That enclosure really is not big enough for a Russian. They should have a minimum of a 4 x 8 enclosure. Check out our Russian care sheets. Try and make any changes you need and give him a little time to get used to the enclosure. Good luck

RussianNinja

Loudon
Welcome to the forum. We have a great Russian Tortoises section here. Unfortunately, if they gave you info, it may not be right. Your temps seem good. What are you using for lights? What are you using for a heat source? That enclosure really is not big enough for a Russian. They should have a minimum of a 4 x 8 enclosure. Check out our Russian care sheets. Try and make any changes you need and give him a little time to get used to the enclosure. Good luck
This is what I use for heating and lighting. The enclosure is just temporary. The tortoise was a surprise from my mom to my son. We got him in a terrarium....I did some research and returned it and built this. I'm either going to add to this and or build him a spot outside., once the snow is gone. 20181130_202311.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeff, and welcome to the Forum! When I click on "Loudon" it comes up in Tennessee. Is that where you are? The supplies in the picture look good, however, I'm not familiar with the two different screw in type lights. I would just use the tube plus a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). If you house gets very cold at night, you can keep the CHE on all the time, day and night.

I really doubt a Petsmart Russian came from a breeder. And besides that, the picture looks like that of a wild caught Russian. Tortoises are territorial, and you've now displaced this tortoise from yet another territory. He finally got used to his Petsmart territory and now here he is, in another new place. Give him a couple weeks to settle in. I would take him of hiding everytime you walk past the enclosure and place him in front of the food. He'll eventually get used to the new digs and start coming out on his own.

Reason I asked where Loudon is is because I wanted to give you advice on putting the tortoise outside. But I have no idea what Loudon's weather is like.

RussianNinja

Loudon
Hi Jeff, and welcome to the Forum! When I click on "Loudon" it comes up in Tennessee. Is that where you are? The supplies in the picture look good, however, I'm not familiar with the two different screw in type lights. I would just use the tube plus a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). If you house gets very cold at night, you can keep the CHE on all the time, day and night.

I really doubt a Petsmart Russian came from a breeder. And besides that, the picture looks like that of a wild caught Russian. Tortoises are territorial, and you've now displaced this tortoise from yet another territory. He finally got used to his Petsmart territory and now here he is, in another new place. Give him a couple weeks to settle in. I would take him of hiding everytime you walk past the enclosure and place him in front of the food. He'll eventually get used to the new digs and start coming out on his own.

Reason I asked where Loudon is is because I wanted to give you advice on putting the tortoise outside. But I have no idea what Loudon's weather is like.
I'm from new hampshire.i was looking into the heat emitters. Wondering if I should use a low watt one to heat the big hide.(not the half tree hide). the heat light heats up the side wall slightly which heats the hide just enough. Maybe just place the CHE next to the basking bulb? Or don't use the basking light at all?

Also I've been frantically searching for appropriate foods. I know that in some areas in the US can be difficult in the winter's for finding food for them. And I think I've gone over almost every food list. Kale and collard greens are an easy find for me. I've also seen full artichokes at Walmart but haven't used yet. Will he be ok on produce until winters over?I will be buying seeds and trays and glow lights in the near future to keep a better food source in the winter's. Any suggestions on acceptable produce?

Thanks for the help!I think this forum is great and hope that every inexperienced tortoise keeper finds there way here. There is allot! Of conflicting tortoise info on the web.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise can go with a night time drop in temperature down to about 75F or so, so depending upon how cold your house gets at night, you may not need the CHE to be on at night. If your enclosure is too cold on the side away from the basking light, then you'd put the CHE over on the side opposite the light.

Here on the West coast there's a packaged salad called Santa Barbara Mix. That's what I start with, then to that I add turnip greens, kale, mustard greens, romaine, butter lettuce, green leaf lettuce, mulberry leaves, grape leaves (not all of these, but I pick and choose).

(Santa Barbara Mix = endive, escarole, radicchio)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The Santa Barbara mix Yvonne mentions is sold by Ready Pak foods; many markets on this side of the country carry it. If you can’t find it, look for heads of one or more of the chicories in it, that Yvonne spelled out.

RussianNinja

Loudon
I went looking for it last nite with no luck. But I did find some turnip greens and mustard greens. Going to get a heat transmitter today last nite the temp was 65. In the encloser. He still hasn't pooped even though I have been soaking him daily has just peed twice. Both times with healthy looking urates in it.

RussianNinja

Loudon
I was wondering if even though I have the lights on for 11 hrs a day. If maybe him being inactive has something to do with his internal clock telling him it's winter. Telling him to slow down or hibernate? Or brumate..

RussianNinja

Loudon
So I went to petsmart today just to see the price of CHEs. And saw another russian in the small pen that ours was in. And it seemed to be about more active. Had a strong feeling to buy/save it. Anyways if I can make sure it's a female it would be ok w my Male right? It's mainly 2 males that you'll run into fighting right? I think I heard that tortoises can be territorial but was wondering if a companion would benefit him in any way? I'll add that the bigger T. Table is coming real soon. Had the idea to put a bunk bed in my son's room where the bottom spot for the mattress would be a tortoise table.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
So I went to petsmart today just to see the price of CHEs. And saw another russian in the small pen that ours was in. And it seemed to be about more active. Had a strong feeling to buy/save it. Anyways if I can make sure it's a female it would be ok w my Male right? It's mainly 2 males that you'll run into fighting right? I think I heard that tortoises can be territorial but was wondering if a companion would benefit him in any way? I'll add that the bigger T. Table is coming real soon. Had the idea to put a bunk bed in my son's room where the bottom spot for the mattress would be a tortoise table.

Russians are completely solitary and very territorial, and tortoises shouldn’t be kept in pairs regardless of gender.

RussianNinja

Loudon
Russians are completely solitary and very territorial, and tortoises shouldn’t be kept in pairs regardless of gender.
So only put together to breed? You see so many people online with multiple Russians in an encloser. Is it because they all don't know better or just lucky they get along?I appreciate the info. I'm not saying your wrong your prob right... just curious.i didn't know that's why i'm asking, before I make a mistake.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
So only put together to breed? You see so many people online with multiple Russians in an encloser. Is it because they all don't know better or just lucky they get along?I appreciate the info. I'm not saying your wrong your prob right... just curious.i didn't know that's why i'm asking, before I make a mistake.

Groups work, but pairs don’t. And yes, you just put them together to breed, or have a breeding group. Russian pairs don’t really “get along”. The people with a pair just likely don’t recognize the signs of aggression, likely because they look affectionate like “cuddling” and “following”.

RussianNinja

Loudon
Groups work, but pairs don’t. And yes, you just put them together to breed, or have a breeding group. Russian pairs don’t really “get along”. The people with a pair just likely don’t recognize the signs of aggression, likely because they look affectionate like “cuddling” and “following”.
K I'll wait till i'm ready for 2 enclosers.Just thinking of ways to get him more active. Seems that it would surely work against me. Still same routine with him. Never coming out of the substrate. Only eats when i place him near his food and hand him the first piece.(i know hand feeding can be bad. And he won't starve himself. Read a long thread about it).I know i'm being impatient just worried...I did hear that he had been in that tiny petsmart encloser for like a month. Which wouldn't make any living thing happy about life. Checked the parameters in the cell he was in today, while I read looking at the new inmate. And the temp was 75ish with 70 humidity. Pretty sure there was no basking light. Like I said before for the most part he seems healthy. Maybe just needs some time for revival...

RussianNinja

Loudon
I might have allot of questions I really appreciate everyone's input. I surely want to do everything to a Tee. As it might be a lil while till the outdoor encloser is available. I heard of its not hot enough or too cold they'll be inactive. Which at this point I clearly understand. could I get some definitive input on what the basking light should be and the humidity. I know there not huge on the humidity. 95-100f and 50?50-60?70f on the cool side?I just want to br sure and maintain that.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I might have allot of questions I really appreciate everyone's input. I surely want to do everything to a Tee. As it might be a lil while till the outdoor encloser is available. I heard of its not hot enough or too cold they'll be inactive. Which at this point I clearly understand. could I get some definitive input on what the basking light should be and the humidity. I know there not huge on the humidity. 95-100f and 50?50-60?70f on the cool side?I just want to br sure and maintain that.
If your tort is 4 inches then it isn't a baby and very high humidity isn't essential.

You need basking at 95-100F. Cool side down to about 80F and it can drop to around 65F at night.

Have you been directed to @Tom 's excellent care guide for Russians. He one of TFO's species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and sadly from some breeders and vets too.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/