Russian Tortoise substrate

Katie Poole

5 Year Member
I am looking to change my 10 month old Russian torts substrate as I believe i was misled at the pet shop, asmy substrate is apparently not good for her :( Which substrate is the best, I have read so many different things and now I have no clue, I will spend a lot if necessary I just really want my tort to be healthy. I have heard about cypress mulch, canna coco which is like coco coir, eco earth, top soil (organic), peat moss and I am so confused, I just would like to know which substrate is the best, thank you

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Katie and welcome
There is a lot of out of date information out there, but if you stick with this forum you will find great advice from very experienced keepers worldwide.
Have a look at the caresheet below it will give you good up to date information on temps humidity diet and substrate etc.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Pet shops sadly give wrong, out of date information about equipment and often still sell coiled/loop type type cfl bulbs even though these have been found to damage torts' eyes - because they are out to make profit and not interested in aftercare, so well done for spotting it.

If you post a pic of your enclosure members can help you ensure you have the best and safest set up for your new baby.
The Beginners Mistakes thread (see link below) will also help you avoid the pitfalls of others, and the Enclosures thread has great ideas.