Healthy Shell?

Suthypie

Location (City and/or State)
Norwich
Hi Guys!

My two torts, which are male horsefields (I keep them separated since they have matured) both 9 years old. I’m concerned about their shells, as just recently I’ve noticed these indented ‘speckly’ marks starting to form on the top scutes. I just don’t want this to lead to something more serious in the future....

Any ideas as to what this could be? Attached pics :)

They both have had access to the outdoors during summer days every year and a relatively varied diet..

F18406DE-CDBD-4630-8135-20848C06C4E4.jpeg 1DFCB3A5-2F3D-43DA-A6EB-D428858EB378.jpeg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Mine has the same thing on the top of her scutes, just a little bit. Only thing I can think of is maybe heat lamp exposure, as she doesn't go out much (colder climate year round)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you talking about the very center of the scutes in the black area? That's the original shell he had when he hatched out of the egg. Brand new baby tortoises have little tiny bumps all over their shells, sort of like goose bumps. You've just never noticed it before. All babies have them. Maybe they're more noticeable now because there's light colored dirt down in the crevices.