Heat and humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Hi folks,
I finally got the closed chamber set up. Pictures will come soon. Let me tell you all what I have the temps and humidity dialed in at and see what you guys think. On the cool side and everywhere but the basking area it's staying 79-80*. Basking area is right at 95*. The humidity is between 75-80%. Is there anything I need to do? The 100w che is on a thermostat. The 100w basking bulb is on a timer for 12 on/12off. We get the baby tomorrow. Any last minute concerns?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not familiar with the type of tort you are getting. Sulcata or leopard, everything sounds good. I would only try to get the basking closer to 100, but 95 will do too. Also, make sure the night temps stay at 80 with the higher humidity. BTW, congrats on the new arrival tomorrow. First thing, give it a warm soak. Also, don't forget to share pics with us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If I remember you are getting a sulcata, right? Your set up sounds absolutely perfect to me.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I'm not familiar with the type of tort you are getting. Sulcata or leopard, everything sounds good. I would only try to get the basking closer to 100, but 95 will do too. Also, make sure the night temps stay at 80 with the higher humidity. BTW, congrats on the new arrival tomorrow. First thing, give it a warm soak. Also, don't forget to share pics with us.

Wellington,thank you. We are getting a Sulcata for my sons birthday. Although, it will probably be me taking care of it mostly. I don't mind though,I love all animals. The basking area was around 85* this morning after about an hour. This afternoon I got a piece of slate and placed under the light which brought it up to 94*. My light is fixed to the ceiling of the enclosure. I'm not sure if there is any way, short of taking that fixture down, that I can extend it down some to concentrate the heat a little better. I have to wait until Thanksgiving to get pics for you guys. His birthday is on Thanksgiving,but I've got an ingenious way of keeping the new baby sully from him.

Tom said:
If I remember you are getting a sulcata, right? Your set up sounds absolutely perfect to me.

Cool,thanks Tom. It's all from reading your care sheets. You are the master. My son wants to be a herpologist when he gets older and so we figured we would keep him involved. Let me ask you, whats the rules about handling the tortoises? He's going to want to hold him and I can't blame him.

Status
Not open for further replies.