Heat/bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
I'm new to the forum. I'm getting two hatchling sulcata tortoises in about two weeks. I've been reading up on them for awhile now but keep finding varying answers to what the best temps are and what kind of bulbs to use. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome..your answers are in the threads below my signatures....happy reading...

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Jessica. Welcome to the Forum. You are going to get varying opinions on most everything to do with raising baby sulcata. Some of the information is just old info and out of date and will be different than what is being done today. I have raised (still raising him) one baby. If I had to start over today there are a few things that I would do different. The biggest of these is to start him in a "closed chamber" where the heat and humidity can be better controlled. Here is a thread to give you some ideas.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

As far as bulbs go, I would use the PowerSun100 for the basking spot. They need a basking spot that is around 100*. You can adjust the temp by raising or lowering the bulb. If you find that your baby spends all day in the basking spot it is probably too cool and you should raise the temp. If your baby stays on the perimeter of the basking spot it is probably too hot and you can raise the bulb. For ambient heat in the enclosure I would use one or two CHE (ceramic heat emmiter) controlled by a thermostat. I kept mine set at 80*F.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
If you get all your info here, virtually every member will agree on temps for babies. Tom's threads are very good and I strongly suggest reading them as the info presented in them is not only useful for Sulcatas but can also be helpful for tortoise keeping in general.

BUT just in case you don't want to read that far into it, here's the basics...

Daytime - HIGH 95-105F LOW 80-85 (NEVER LOWER THAN 80)

Nighttime - try to maintain 80-85 throughtout the enclosure, a little variation is ok but only if it's up like if the area directly under your heat source reaches 90, that's fine just make sure it never goes below 80.

The reason for maintaining a minimum temp of 80 is that there have been many examples where young Sulcatas have gotten respiratory infections when kept too cool. It's deadly so keep them warm.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
What about a UVB or something? It's way to cold where I am for them to go outside at all. In the summer it gets well over 100. I'm stationed in 29 palms. So I need a regular heat bulb for basking, ceramic heat emitter for ambient/night time temps. And I assume a UVB? But I'm not sure on what wattages. I'm working on getting there tank set up before I get them so I can get all the temps and humidity adjusted to the right spot. I've been reading all the pinned threads and terra a lot of good info. Guess I'm just looking for more specifics.

Status
Not open for further replies.