Heat lamp at night??

JHBlegend

5 Year Member
I was wondering if you people out there leave your heat lamp on during the night?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Which species and what is the overnight temperature?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yes indeed [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nope I have a che on a thermostat. It's the best way to maintain heat .

JHBlegend

5 Year Member
It's a greek hatching about 3 months okd and gets down to about 65 degrees

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm with Mike here. My indoor tortoise enclosures all have CHE's to maintain night time temps. If they're needed or not.

Regulated, of course by a thermostat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
JHBlegend said:
It's a greek hatching about 3 months okd and gets down to about 65 degrees

Yes you should have some heat for the night times then. I'm not sure the temps needed for a hermanns, but as suggested, a CHE not a light is what should be used at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heat lamp? No. It should be dark at night. The CHE will give you heat with no light if needed.

Whether or not its needed is debatable. I think most greek keepers will tell you that 65 at night is fine as long as they can warm up during the day. Some may tell you that it should be a little warmer for a hatchling, some may not.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Regardless of the temps needed at night, a ceramic heat emitter,(CHE) is the way to go. It is dark at night. Not red light, not purple light, but dark. I don't cover my enclosures at night to keep out ambient household light, but I think it's a bad idea in the enclosure. Also a calm room at night would be best. Mine are set up in my home office. Once Judge Judy is on, activity in that room stops. I love watching her yell at people!

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I would appreciate feedback. I have found that because of the dampness in my Sully's hide house, if I do not keep the CHE on at night he is at risk of developing a cold or worse. The lights go off at 8pm ( about his normal bedtime it seems) so the temp drops some, but if I let it get to below 70 in his hide I would not forgive myself. The other day he was napping and basking and I freaked out because I though his eyelids were too white and went into Tortoise ICU mode.

Thoughts and other people's experiences?

He is 10 months old and I can own that he is already spoiled rotten. He has benefitted by my emptying nest syndrome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lighthiker said:
I would appreciate feedback. I have found that because of the dampness in my Sully's hide house, if I do not keep the CHE on at night he is at risk of developing a cold or worse. The lights go off at 8pm ( about his normal bedtime it seems) so the temp drops some, but if I let it get to below 70 in his hide I would not forgive myself. The other day he was napping and basking and I freaked out because I though his eyelids were too white and went into Tortoise ICU mode.

He is 10 months old and I can own that he is already spoiled rotten. He has benefitted by my emptying nest syndrome.

This thread was about a greek tortoise. Cooler at night is fine for them. Yours is a tropical tortoise. His night temps should not drop below 80. A CHE on a thermostat is a great way to accomplish this.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
Tom said:
lighthiker said:

This thread was about a greek tortoise. Cooler at night is fine for them. Yours is a tropical tortoise. His night temps should not drop below 80. A CHE on a thermostat is a great way to accomplish this.