Heat Lamp vs Halogen Flood Light

P

pguinpro

Went to Lowes & then Home Depot...Saw some 75Watt - 90Watt Outdoor Halogen Flood Lights as well as some 250Watt Heat lights/lamp. My questions is this: What's the difference? Should I get the heat lamp? I already have a T8 fixture and tube for UVB on order. Right now I am trying to figure out which bulb I should get...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Don't use halogens and 250 watts is way too much. For most applications I use 65 watt flood bulbs. Phillips or Sylvania usually. Costs about $12 for a 12 pack or $8 for a six pack. Just regular flood bulbs.

P

pguinpro

Don't use halogens and 250 watts is way too much. For most applications I use 65 watt flood bulbs. Phillips or Sylvania usually. Costs about $12 for a 12 pack or $8 for a six pack. Just regular flood bulbs.
Why not halogens? Everything on the shelves was either halogen or led & from what I hear LED do not produce enough heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why not halogens? Everything on the shelves was either halogen or led & from what I hear LED do not produce enough heat.
The halogens make more IR-A which desiccates the shell more. I use the regular 65watt ones and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp. If the room temp is too cold, then I would raise ambient temps before going to a higher wattage bulb.

P

pguinpro

The halogens make more IR-A which desiccates the shell more. I use the regular 65watt ones and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp. If the room temp is too cold, then I would raise ambient temps before going to a higher wattage bulb.
'Regular 65watt flood' so incandescent or LED?

Britannica

Bremerton, WA
I was having the same issue - 65 watt Phillips flood bulb was only reaching about mid 80s in basking spot (10 inches from shell). I couldn't find anything but LED at Lowe's and Home Depot and all of the halogen bulbs were 250 watt. I ended up giving up and just buying the Exo Terra 100 watt bulb (I think it was like $13) and basking temp is perfect now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was having the same issue - 65 watt Phillips flood bulb was only reaching about mid 80s in basking spot (10 inches from shell). I couldn't find anything but LED at Lowe's and Home Depot and all of the halogen bulbs were 250 watt. I ended up giving up and just buying the Exo Terra 100 watt bulb (I think it was like $13) and basking temp is perfect now.
Just make sure it is not a "spot" bulb.