Heat rocks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
My boxie seems to love it,

I believe gentle heat from below is great for tortoises and turtles. I have seen more damage done to reptiles from hot light bulbs and CHE's than from electric rocks. I have hot rocks that are older than probably 75% of the current TFO members, I have seen some fail but never by over heating to the extent to cause damage. I no longer use hot rocks, by choice, not by fear. ---If people choose to use them they should separate the rock from the animal so that the animal can never touch the rock but benefit from the heat.--- There are many ways to accomplish this. I no longer use hot lights or CHE,s placed above my tortoises for the main heat source. I'm old and seen this hobby and equipment used change over the years, I remember when the ceramic heat emitters had the heating coil exposed, If you or the animal touched it not only did you get burned you would get an electric shock also. Box turtles do not need much heat to stay active so be careful to not over do it with what ever you do.

Remember, there will be debate over this topic...NO ONE person is right, no one.....so, you should take into consideration your individual animal, your individual local, you individual location and all equipment available on the market.....then act on those variables...there is no way that one persons opinion (or two) are correct, remember alot of ego compel folks to demand that they are right.....you make the choices you believe appropriate...I wish you and the turtle well....

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
How cold is really cold? A night time drop in temps is fine. As long as it's 60 or above you don't need to be concerned.

For keeping the humidity up & substrate moist, just pour water in.
Sometimes it's 60 sometimes it's lower, I just don't like him getting too cold because he's sick right now and he has a lot of problems and I'd like to keep him healthy

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
Remember, there will be debate over this topic...NO ONE person is right, no one.....so, you should take into consideration your individual animal, your individual local, you individual location and all equipment available on the market.....then act on those variables...there is no way that one persons opinion (or two) are correct, remember alot of ego compel folks to demand that they are right.....you make the choices you believe appropriate...I wish you and the turtle well....
Yeah I know but honestly if there's a chance of the turtle getting hurt especially burned I'd like to avoid it because the previous owner took such bad care of him for 9 years of his life (and I've only had him for less than 2) and I'm pretty positive the scaring on his head is from being burned from his tank melting and dropping on him because they gave me his tank and there's and hole in the plastic the size of the burn on his head. And it's really awful

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I've never used anything like a heating pad or a rock because of malfunctions stories I've heard and I never trusted those products. I just wouldn't want to take the chance of burning my torts. Especially since one of your babies had a burn badly it's not worth it :(

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
I've never used anything like a heating pad or a rock because of malfunctions stories I've heard and I never trusted those products. I just wouldn't want to take the chance of burning my torts. Especially since one of your babies had a burn badly it's not worth it :(
Yeah that's how im feeling. I took the rock out yesterday as soon as someone said that

mushmouth26

10 Year Member!
Texas
One thing I do for my young torts is the aquarium reptile heat pad with the sticky side.. Either attached to aquarium glass or to a ceramic tile.. I then use a lamp slider switch to lower the voltage so that it does not output the max heat.. I only allow it to get like 80 degrees.. Not hot.. With substrate on top of glass or tile.

Number1Platypus

Massachusetts
One thing I do for my young torts is the aquarium reptile heat pad with the sticky side.. Either attached to aquarium glass or to a ceramic tile.. I then use a lamp slider switch to lower the voltage so that it does not output the max heat.. I only allow it to get like 80 degrees.. Not hot.. With substrate on top of glass or tile.
Hmm Idk I know you said you lower the heat but Im just worried about him getting burned, even if i put it under the substrate he likes to dig so I dont want him digging down there and hanging out on it