heat source

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisefriend

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
What is the best heat source for the redfoot enclosure? Are under the tank heating pads ever appropriate for any tortoise? Would it disrupt the humidity/make it too dry? I live in Buffalo, where the winter is long and awful, and I'm trying to think of the best and most efficient ways to keep him warm. :tort:

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
You aren't kidding! You guys do get long-cold winters up there!! I use under tank heaters. I've heard some people say they're fine and I've heard some people give them a big thumbs down. Personally, I like what mine are doing for me. They are really helping to supplement my other 2 sources of heat--A 160 watt MVB & a 150 watt CHE. I had to play around a lot to get the temps where I wanted them, but I finally had success. Here are my averages: 100 in the hot spot, 90 in the middle, 82 in the cooler spot, and 88 in the humid hide. Although I'm not quite in the snow belt like you are, I'm in NY too and dreading the long-cold winter! Good luck. :)

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Their ok to use, just make sure u check temps right at the bottom of the tank and then on top the substrate as torts like to dig down in it.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Antelope Valley
I think individual redfoots differ alot from one another. Mine can't stand anything over 85. But to actually answer your question about the heating pads. I don't know how well they work as an overall heat source but I have a small one that I have directly underneath one of the hide spots in my enclosure and it creates an really great warm humid area. Depending on the type of enclosure you have it can be hard to keep it humid all the time but if you can use a substrate in a hide spot that stays moist pretty well and put a heat pad under that you will know that you at least have a place that does maintain a good humidty. You should of course do your best to regulate the temp and humidity of the entire enclosure also. Anyway that is my take on it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I;ve been using heat ropes (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes ) INSIDE my substrate for a few years now and love them! They allow me to use cypress mulch, then pour water on the mulch.

The water collects on the bottom, is heated by the waterproof ropes, and rises as warm vapor! Heat AND humidity with almost no work, running 24/7! Can't beat it!

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I would use them and have a good heating lamp with a UVB lamp so good luck and make sure your guys are warm this year :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Madkins007 said:
I;ve been using heat ropes (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes ) INSIDE my substrate for a few years now and love them! They allow me to use cypress mulch, then pour water on the mulch.

The water collects on the bottom, is heated by the waterproof ropes, and rises as warm vapor! Heat AND humidity with almost no work, running 24/7! Can't beat it!

Madkins, how long are the ones that you get? Do you also use a heat emitter or anything else to heat with or just use the ropes?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
do you use those ropes inside the substrate?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I use the longest rope in my 48"x20" habitat. It is loosely tied to a piece of hardware mesh in a back and forth pattern, leaving an area relatively unheated for a cooler hide space. It is then buried beneath about 2" of substrate. Since the rope only hits about 90-95F and is waterproof, it is safe for this. By the way- the closer you space it, the warmer things are. Too close however, and it can overheat.

I also have a medium-sized CHE on a thermostatic controller, and a low wattage MVB on for about 5 hours a day (with a plain incandescent bulb on for 12 hours). The thermostatic controller kicks the CHE on when temps drop below about 81ish. Sometimes, it is always on, sometimes it rarely kicks on- but since it is automatic, I don't have to babysit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.