Heating during the winter

deniscooper

Location (City and/or State)
Staffordshire
Good evening all

We’ve got a 5 year old sulcata but this year he is proving difficult to keep warm at a sensible price.

He’s too big for his large table we had for him so he’s been living in one of our rooms. We’ve tried a heat tube and an also a ceramic heater which worked well when he was in the table but it’s not giving off enough heat now. I had an oil radiator which helped with the heat but it was quite expensive to run. And I’ve just got another infrared type heater which really heats the room up but is costing a fortune to run.

Has anyone got any ideas or share their experience on the best way to heat. Next year he’s going outside and we were going to use some form of solar to heat up the house.

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is no cheap way. The radiator type is likely the cheapest. But you still need to provide uvb light and a basking bulb.
That's why I always tell people that live in the cold, snowy areas like me. If you don't have the means, as in money, room as in acreage then don't get a large tortoise. They will never be cheap in the cold areas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good evening all

We’ve got a 5 year old sulcata but this year he is proving difficult to keep warm at a sensible price.

He’s too big for his large table we had for him so he’s been living in one of our rooms. We’ve tried a heat tube and an also a ceramic heater which worked well when he was in the table but it’s not giving off enough heat now. I had an oil radiator which helped with the heat but it was quite expensive to run. And I’ve just got another infrared type heater which really heats the room up but is costing a fortune to run.

Has anyone got any ideas or share their experience on the best way to heat. Next year he’s going outside and we were going to use some form of solar to heat up the house.

Thanks
Sorry. There is nothing "sensible" about keeping a giant tropical reptile that needs thousands of square feet of space in a climate like yours. It can be done, but its not cheap, easy, or convenient.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I live down river from Washington DC on the Potomac River and we get cold weather during the winter months. Insulation is the most important part of the house your going to build for your sulcata. I have 5 sulcatas that live outside all year. They each have their own well insulated house. The last house I built measures 4x5 ft with an inside height of 33 inch's. For heating I am using a 18x24 Stanfield heat mat, 2 chicken brooder heaters and if needed a 100 watt CHE. I had more heat than needed last week during the super cold single digit temperatures. With those 4 heating elements the most wattage that was available was 600 watts. I never had to use all 600 to keep the house warm and comfy. This is the first time I used this heating setup and wasn't sure how well it was going to work. It worked great because it's a well insulated house.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I live down river from Washington DC on the Potomac River and we get cold weather during the winter months. Insulation is the most important part of the house your going to build for your sulcata. I have 5 sulcatas that live outside all year. They each have their own well insulated house. The last house I built measures 4x5 ft with an inside height of 33 inch's. For heating I am using a 18x24 Stanfield heat mat, 2 chicken brooder heaters and if needed a 100 watt CHE. I had more heat than needed last week during the super cold single digit temperatures. With those 4 heating elements the most wattage that was available was 600 watts. I never had to use all 600 to keep the house warm and comfy. This is the first time I used this heating setup and wasn't sure how well it was going to work. It worked great because it's a well insulated house.
So, after the initial expense, you're good for the future?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
That's a good fact to consider.
That there isn't much of an ongoing expense once you've got it set up.
It's a good investment.
Some insulations R factors are affected by moisture and reduced. Especially fiberglass and if you aren't able to moisture proof fiberglass it shouldn't be used. Urethane, styrofoam, aircell, or foam glass insulators aren't affected by moisture and are a better choice.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some insulations R factors are affected by moisture and reduced. Especially fiberglass and if you aren't able to moisture proof fiberglass it shouldn't be used. Urethane, styrofoam, aircell, or foam glass insulators aren't affected by moisture and are a better choice.
I have limited experience with actually needing much extra heat.
This can be very useful.