Sulcatta's outdoor need during winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snodani

5 Year Member
I live in town that is covered in snow 3-4 months a year. However, summer and fall are hot and dry (very low humidity) and I've been trying to figure out how to house a sulcatta tortoise.

I have a very secure wood shed approx. 15'x15' and the means to install necessary lighting and heat for the tortoise once he is too large to keep in the house. My worry is that the artificial light for that long wouldn't be sufficient. I plan to build a large outdoor enclosure for the rest of the year and give him free range over a large (secure) grass lawn, but is that enough?

I know it will be years before I need any more than a turtle table or garage enclosure, but I'm trying to figure out if this will work long term.

Thank you for our help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Snodani:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Just insulate the shed so it will stay warm with your heater and lights. You can buy a UVB light that will provide the necessary UVB for the tortoise, however, if you allow him access to outside, he'll come and go on his own and get the benefit of whatever sunshine there may be with the snow.

Snodani

5 Year Member
Thank you for the help and sorry about the typos, my computer autocorrected Sulcata to Sulcatta :/

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Snodani said:
Thank you for the help and sorry about the typos, my computer autocorrected Sulcata to Sulcatta :/

Don't worry about such mistakes. I make many spelling errors, but I don't have an autocorrector I can blame, just myself. :D

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I have seen a few members who have posted pics of their larger torts enjoying the snow. I think your shed will be great once it's all warm and he can come and go at will. Maybe someone will post a pic of their torts in the snow. It's also nice that your planning ahead.

Snodani

5 Year Member
So in the winter when the ground is covered in snow I can let him/her roam outside on it (packed down tight of course) as long as its sunny and the temp is above 60 degrees? I guess that too depends on it's age and size at the time.

Sometimes in winter we'll have 2 straight weeks of heavy snowfall and I'd feel bad keeping him locked up inside, but he should have plenty of time to sun bathe the rest of the year.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't know about a heavy snowstorm, but a lot of large Sulcata keepers just let their torts choose. They like the 'option' to go out, but may decide to come back in. At least that way they are not bangin against the door, they can check it out.

If you had a small porch or overhang on your shed, that would protect the opening somewhat. Also, you can hang clear plastic flap at the door. Then if you make a ramp, and enclose that with wood and possibly a polycarbonate roof (to allow light in), with another flap at the end of that, you won't lose as much heat to the outside.

EKLC

5 Year Member
If you threw a black rubber mat on the floor, it would heat up pretty good in the sun, giving him a warm place to hang out in the sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.