Heating for Boris

eliseandboris

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I’ve learned a lot recently from you guys about a tortoise in my office. I’m trying to change his life for the better because his situation hasn’t been ideal. He’s not mine, I’ve just started taking some responsibility for him.
I have run into lighting/heating problems and I’m starting to be on the right track. Still I have questions. I’m a bit of a perfectionist and worry wart when it comes to caring for animals.
So…His 40 gallon tank (I know) hasn’t been getting hot enough, but I’m on the road to fixing that once my Amazon delivery gets here today.
Thanks to a kind member here, I’m getting a basking bulb that isn’t a spot bulb. Don’t know why they don’t have these in store & I didn’t know the difference anyway… Also last night I set up a CHE in a cage lamp fixture. I just need peace of mind even tho the cage lamp is probably not necessary/may lose heat. Anyway…he didn’t get lower than 60 last night, so that’s a “win” for the moment. He was at 40 for a night. No idea what was happening before I stepped in…
Here’s a pic of the set up. I’ll be changing it quite a bit as it’s a 40 gallon tank by a window (in New England).
Today he will get a 150 W incandescent basking bulb. He’s got a 100 W CHE and I took out his fluorescent coil bulb, which I’ll replace with something better soon.
I’m hoping this will heat up his tank, because it’s not getting up past 87.
I’m wondering about remote monitoring so I don’t have a panic attack over the weekend. Tonight I’m setting up a regular Inkbird temp controller that I borrowed. Is there any way I can do remote viewing without using a camera or spending $160?

Attachments

• IMG_7195.jpeg
    IMG_7195.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7199.jpeg
    IMG_7199.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7184.jpeg
    IMG_7184.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
To monitor just temperatures you can get a "smart sensor" like this: https://us.govee.com/collections/smart-thermo-hygrometers/products/wi-fi-temperature-humidity-sensor (it connects to a WiFi and you can watch temperatures from a smartphone).

To turn CHE on and off any simple thermostat will do the job.

If you place CHE like on the photos - the lamp cage on the terrarium top, you mostly heat the room and not the enclosure. You can screw the CHE into the "double dome", or (better) get a wide dome (you can check HomeDepot or similar stores).

Covering/wrapping the mesh with a tin foil can help to keep the heat inside and to raise a humidity a little bit (he doesn't need much, but 50-60% is a desirable level). You will need to watch the temperatures after that - both 100 watt CHE and 150 watt basking lamp are powerful enough to overheat the 40 gallon tank.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve learned a lot recently from you guys about a tortoise in my office. I’m trying to change his life for the better because his situation hasn’t been ideal. He’s not mine, I’ve just started taking some responsibility for him.
I have run into lighting/heating problems and I’m starting to be on the right track. Still I have questions. I’m a bit of a perfectionist and worry wart when it comes to caring for animals.
So…His 40 gallon tank (I know) hasn’t been getting hot enough, but I’m on the road to fixing that once my Amazon delivery gets here today.
Thanks to a kind member here, I’m getting a basking bulb that isn’t a spot bulb. Don’t know why they don’t have these in store & I didn’t know the difference anyway… Also last night I set up a CHE in a cage lamp fixture. I just need peace of mind even tho the cage lamp is probably not necessary/may lose heat. Anyway…he didn’t get lower than 60 last night, so that’s a “win” for the moment. He was at 40 for a night. No idea what was happening before I stepped in…
Here’s a pic of the set up. I’ll be changing it quite a bit as it’s a 40 gallon tank by a window (in New England).
Today he will get a 150 W incandescent basking bulb. He’s got a 100 W CHE and I took out his fluorescent coil bulb, which I’ll replace with something better soon.
I’m hoping this will heat up his tank, because it’s not getting up past 87.
I’m wondering about remote monitoring so I don’t have a panic attack over the weekend. Tonight I’m setting up a regular Inkbird temp controller that I borrowed. Is there any way I can do remote viewing without using a camera or spending $160?
Setting the heat lamps on top like that is very likely to cause a fire. Its AWESOME that you are helping this tortoise, I'm glad you are getting help. Its best to build some sort of overhead system with uprights and a horizontal bar over head to hang the lights from. If the lights are suspended they can't tip over or be moved by someone to the wrong area. What typically happens is someone will move the heat lamp when it is off, to move the CHE not realizing it is on because it makes no light, and they will set it on top of something flammable. Or someone will step on or other wise pull on the cord and cause the fixture to tip over or fall.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Setting the heat lamps on top like that is very likely to cause a fire. Its AWESOME that you are helping this tortoise, I'm glad you are getting help. Its best to build some sort of overhead system with uprights and a horizontal bar over head to hang the lights from. If the lights are suspended they can't tip over or be moved by someone to the wrong area. What typically happens is someone will move the heat lamp when it is off, to move the CHE not realizing it is on because it makes no light, and they will set it on top of something flammable. Or someone will step on or other wise pull on the cord and cause the fixture to tip over or fall.
Luckily I got a floor hanger in the mail just now. Unfortunately the Fluker’s incandescent basking bulb was broken in a million pieces. I ordered it in 150 w instead of 100w b/c I needed the one day shipping. I got a second bulb that was 100w in case the 150w was too much. I have no idea what to think of this second bulb now that I see it. I can’t tell if it’s incandescent, but I thought it was when I bought it. I have to have this set up for the weekend by tomorrow afternoon. The pic on the new thing says not to use with a thermostat. Do you think I can put this in a dome light with the ceramic on a timer? Should I even use this bulb? Tearing my hair out :(

Attachments

• IMG_7232.jpeg
    IMG_7232.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7233.jpeg
    IMG_7233.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7234.jpeg
    IMG_7234.jpeg
    942.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7234.jpeg
    IMG_7234.jpeg
    942.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7233.jpeg
    IMG_7233.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7232.jpeg
    IMG_7232.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Hello!
To monitor just temperatures you can get a "smart sensor" like this: https://us.govee.com/collections/smart-thermo-hygrometers/products/wi-fi-temperature-humidity-sensor (it connects to a WiFi and you can watch temperatures from a smartphone).

To turn CHE on and off any simple thermostat will do the job.

If you place CHE like on the photos - the lamp cage on the terrarium top, you mostly heat the room and not the enclosure. You can screw the CHE into the "double dome", or (better) get a wide dome (you can check HomeDepot or similar stores).

Covering/wrapping the mesh with a tin foil can help to keep the heat inside and to raise a humidity a little bit (he doesn't need much, but 50-60% is a desirable level). You will need to watch the temperatures after that - both 100 watt CHE and 150 watt basking lamp are powerful enough to overheat the 40 gallon tank.
Thank you! I’m just got a floor thing to hang the lamp from. I think I’ll need a double ceramic dome lamp. What’s the difference between wide dome and regular dome (besides the obvious). I assumed certain lights only fit one or the other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Luckily I got a floor hanger in the mail just now. Unfortunately the Fluker’s incandescent basking bulb was broken in a million pieces. I ordered it in 150 w instead of 100w b/c I needed the one day shipping. I got a second bulb that was 100w in case the 150w was too much. I have no idea what to think of this second bulb now that I see it. I can’t tell if it’s incandescent, but I thought it was when I bought it. I have to have this set up for the weekend by tomorrow afternoon. The pic on the new thing says not to use with a thermostat. Do you think I can put this in a dome light with the ceramic on a timer? Should I even use this bulb? Tearing my hair out :(
That is a mercury vapor bulb. I wouldn't use it. Some of them make WAYYYY too much UV and others make none. Without a meter, you won't know what it is doing. Those bulbs will also cause pyramiding on a young growing animal. This isn't a concern for yours, but the UV levels are.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
That is a mercury vapor bulb. I wouldn't use it. Some of them make WAYYYY too much UV and others make none. Without a meter, you won't know what it is doing. Those bulbs will also cause pyramiding on a young growing animal. This isn't a concern for yours, but the UV levels are.
Yeah. I’m worried I am not going to find a perfect light in time. What’s the least damaging thing I can set up from a pet store in 5 mins 🤦‍♀️ I have not put that light in. I’m worried about putting a ceramic heat bulb in this old thing.

Attachments

• IMG_7240.jpeg
    IMG_7240.jpeg
    959.5 KB · Views: 2

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Yeah. I’m worried I am not going to find a perfect light in time. What’s the least damaging thing I can set up from a pet store in 5 mins 🤦‍♀️ I have not put that light in. I’m worried about putting a ceramic heat bulb in this old thing.
I have a bunch of stuff that’s not perfect and I have to choose the lesser of whatevrvevil, and not start a fire. I did get this arm set up. I made the choice to put a night heat bulb in there that is purple for tonight, even tho I know it’s bad, it shouldn’t start a fire or cause serious damage within a night. I just hit 17 different brick walls this week :/

Attachments

• IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you! I’m just got a floor thing to hang the lamp from. I think I’ll need a double ceramic dome lamp. What’s the difference between wide dome and regular dome (besides the obvious). I assumed certain lights only fit one or the other.
CHE itself doesn't project much heat below - most of it will go up and to the sides. Dome helps to gather it and reflect down in the enclosure. Wide dome makes less intense larger warm spot with softer gradient from center to the sides, narrow domes make more focused smaller diameter spot.

Double domes, in general, are not optimal - too narrow. And you can't move CHE away from a basking lamp to make heating more even (less an issue for a 40 gallon tank).

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
This dome should have ceramic lamp sockets (you can see it from inside, when placing a map). And labels on it might state that it is suitable (or not) for CHEs (I can't clearly see it from photos)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have a bunch of stuff that’s not perfect and I have to choose the lesser of whatevrvevil, and not start a fire. I did get this arm set up. I made the choice to put a night heat bulb in there that is purple for tonight, even tho I know it’s bad, it shouldn’t start a fire or cause serious damage within a night. I just hit 17 different brick walls this week :/
Now that I know it’s getting down to 40 in the enclosure, I agree that any heat is better than none even if it emits light. I was imagining temperatures in the 50’s on your other post, just because that’s what I’m used to, and I didn’t account for the fact that this tortoise is in an office building and not a heated house. 40 is definitely too low. I’m sorry everything seems to be going wrong, the broken light bulb is definitely a bummer.

Here’s a good dome fixture for a CHE:

Something with a wider opening like that one works best, but a smaller, more narrow one is sufficient as long as it’s large enough to house the CHE if it’s all you have access to. You’re mostly looking for that white ceramic top bit that will be able to handle the high heat from the CHE.

In my opinion, it is unlikely that any harm would come from putting the CHE in that double dome just for now. Worst case, the dome would probably just stop working or the bulbs in it would burn out, but it is likely that that would take some time. I wouldn’t advise someone to purchase a double dome fixture or house a CHE in something without a ceramic top, but I have, in the past, housed a CHE in a small plastic topped fixture short term (just a few days) with no issue. If I’m correctly remembering the fixture I used, anyway. Doesn’t mean something wouldn’t go wrong eventually, but your chances of success are pretty high for the time it would take to get something better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't need a pet store. You need a hardware store or a Walmart for a regular incandescent flood bulb.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
CHE itself doesn't project much heat below - most of it will go up and to the sides. Dome helps to gather it and reflect down in the enclosure. Wide dome makes less intense larger warm spot with softer gradient from center to the sides, narrow domes make more focused smaller diameter spot.

Double domes, in general, are not optimal - too narrow. And you can't move CHE away from a basking lamp to make heating more even (less an issue for a 40 gallon tank).
Awesome. Very helpful! Thank you! I found it kinda annoying that the clip lamps (all they had) don’t have a handle to hang off the arm. I got a wide dome and a regular one. I’ll see what I end up using at the end of the day. I need another hanger thing, but of course I can only find one for a 20 gallon tank. :/

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Now that I know it’s getting down to 40 in the enclosure, I agree that any heat is better than none even if it emits light. I was imagining temperatures in the 50’s on your other post, just because that’s what I’m used to, and I didn’t account for the fact that this tortoise is in an office building and not a heated house. 40 is definitely too low. I’m sorry everything seems to be going wrong, the broken light bulb is definitely a bummer.

Here’s a good dome fixture for a CHE:

Something with a wider opening like that one works best, but a smaller, more narrow one is sufficient as long as it’s large enough to house the CHE if it’s all you have access to. You’re mostly looking for that white ceramic top bit that will be able to handle the high heat from the CHE.

In my opinion, it is unlikely that any harm would come from putting the CHE in that double dome just for now. Worst case, the dome would probably just stop working or the bulbs in it would burn out, but it is likely that that would take some time. I wouldn’t advise someone to purchase a double dome fixture or house a CHE in something without a ceramic top, but I have, in the past, housed a CHE in a small plastic topped fixture short term (just a few days) with no issue. If I’m correctly remembering the fixture I used, anyway. Doesn’t mean something wouldn’t go wrong eventually, but your chances of success are pretty high for the time it would take to get something better.
Thank you so much. Helps a lot to know this stuff. I’m so freaked out about him being alone over the weekend. I’ll just have to do my best to get everything as safe as possible. He’s going to have to deal with a spot basker unless I get lucky. I dunno what else to do at this point. Thanks so much for all of your input. It’s very much appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They aren’t available anywhere. They seem to not be sold here in hardware stores anymore.
Order them on Amazon. Just read carefully and make sure its not a 65 watt "replacement" in little fine print. The packaging has become very confusing. You want an incandescent flood bulb. Phillips, GE, and Sylvania all make them.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Order them on Amazon. Just read carefully and make sure its not a 65 watt "replacement" in little fine print. The packaging has become very confusing. You want an incandescent flood bulb. Phillips, GE, and Sylvania all make them.
Do you think 65 watts would be the appropriate bulb for a 40 gallon tank? Would 100 w be too much? I ordered a few different ones this weekend. I’m not going to keep him in the tank for too much longer, but one thing at a time. Thanks for all of your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think 65 watts would be the appropriate bulb for a 40 gallon tank? Would 100 w be too much? I ordered a few different ones this weekend. I’m not going to keep him in the tank for too much longer, but one thing at a time. Thanks for all of your help!
Only your thermometer can tell you. Depends on room temp, amount of ventilation, amount of air movement in the room, height of the aquarium walls, etc... I'd start with 65 and see if that gets it done. It probably will.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Only your thermometer can tell you. Depends on room temp, amount of ventilation, amount of air movement in the room, height of the aquarium walls, etc... I'd start with 65 and see if that gets it done. It probably will.
Thanks. He’s had the 60 to be on the safe side, but I’m going to try 100 b/c it could be a little hotter. I didn’t want to try anything over the weekend while I was gone. Thank you!

Reactions: Tom