Heating lamps

littleleo

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
Hi everyone! I was just wondering where do night heat lamps go? I have a 40 gal and have my basking lamp on one side and was curious to know if the night heat source goes on the same side as the basking or on opposite side? UVB is spread across the whole tank. Just iffy on the other lamps. Also is it better to have a CHE or a 100W infrared heat lamp.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I think a CHE is better. I've never used a 40 g tank so I couldn't say.
Hopefully someone who does can advise you.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
CHE is best. It doesn't matter which side. It is for ambient temp, so towards the center works well.

Reactions: Tom

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Hi everyone! I was just wondering where do night heat lamps go? I have a 40 gal and have my basking lamp on one side and was curious to know if the night heat source goes on the same side as the basking or on opposite side? UVB is spread across the whole tank. Just iffy on the other lamps. Also is it better to have a CHE or a 100W infrared heat lamp.
Hey there. I dont use a 40 tank. I have uvb central basking to one side and was advised to put che towards the centre if possible. Hope it helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Infrared bulbs should not be used over tortoises.

Use the CHE somewhere near the middle and run it on a thermostat.

littleleo

Santa Barbara
Hey Tom! You know best so I was wondering if theres a specific humidifier you recommend for a baby tort? or just mist the enclosure with like a shower curtain on top?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom! You know best so I was wondering if theres a specific humidifier you recommend for a baby tort? or just mist the enclosure with like a shower curtain on top?

I don't like to use humidifiers. I prefer to use closed chambers. This prevents the loss of your warmth and humidity, it creates much better conditions for your tortoise, and it saves a ton on electricity since all the heat is contained.

littleleo

Santa Barbara
Hello! Last question. What's the best uvb light to use for a 40 gal? Right now I have an 18" zilla slimline desert fixture T8 50 uvb. Since I went from a 15 to a 40 I don't know which is best. I was looking at the reptisuns but not sure how many inches I should move up if necessary.