Heating Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
I use a mercury vapor bulb during the day but at night I turn it off. What can I use at night to keep the enclosure warm? ceramic heat emitter? if so what wattage would I need for a 20 gallon long tank?

drxl34

5 Year Member
What is the pet in question? You probably don't need anything at night depending on room temp but I use a red light in the winter. Try a heating pad if you have a glass tank just have it cover about a third of the floor

For wattage since you only need one side to be heated I'd say 75w red bulb or purple bulb.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Yes a CHE is what I use. It really depends on night time room temperature. I think if you get similar wattage to your MVB, you should be fine, you can put it on a dimmer, or raise and lower to get temps you want.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I would get the largest wattage CHE I could, and use something as simple as a lamp dimmer to reduce the heat to what you want, as your tortoise grows you can increase the temp needed for a larger sulcata.I have a 60 watt che that I use a lot for the smaller tortoises but the most I will ever get out of it is 60 watts and there are times I could use just a little more heat. Len

drxl34

5 Year Member
Turtulas said:
I would get the largest wattage CHE I could, and use something as simple as a lamp dimmer to reduce the heat to what you want, as your tortoise grows you can increase the temp needed for a larger sulcata.I have a 60 watt che that I use a lot for the smaller tortoises but the most I will ever get out of it is 60 watts and there are times I could use just a little more heat. Len

Where do you guys get Che? They are so expensive in prtsmart

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
drxl34 said:
Where do you guys get Che? They are so expensive in prtsmart

U can order online but by the time u pay shipping and wait for days for it to come in it's about the same

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree get the larger CHE and just move it or use something to control the amount of heat it gives off. I also agree CHEs seem to last forever. Seems as long as I (or the cats) don't do something stupid and actually break the CHE they rarely stop working even years later. I also found that to me, the smaller wattage ones just were not worth the investment and did not produce the heat I wanted/needed.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ditto- buy big, get a controller, and figure the cost over years. My favorite so far has been these black series from Big Apple Herps- http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Black-Infrared-Ceramic-Emitters.

However, instead of a lamp dimmer (which you need to make absolutely sure can handle the full wattage- many cannot), I recommend a thermostatic controller, even the cheapo Zoo Med unit (http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...-timers/-/zoo-med-500r-thermostat-with-probe/ ) With one of these, once you dial in the desired temp, the controller will pretty much keep it there for you regardless of other temp influences.

Status
Not open for further replies.