Heating redfoot indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

redreptile

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Having hard time keeping temp >80. Was using basking light but that gives off too much light. Using heat pad under aquarium now. Suggestions?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
Unless the room you have the enclosure in is at least in the mid 70's, you will have a hard time keeping the temps up unless you put a top on it to hold the heat in. I suggest using a ceramic heat emitter that you can find at most pet stores. Get a 100 watt one and then you can adjust the height to get your required temp.

redreptile

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Chucky. I'm thinking the heat emitter will heat only a portion, possible the hide area of the 40 gallon tank(36" x 18 "") the redfoot is in. Sound like I will have to cover entire tank if I want to raise the temp in entire tank.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
You can leave about a 1" opening on the opposite end of the hide and it may be enough to hold the heat and humidity in.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep a screen top on the viv, and on one side a heat emitter, and on the other side a long tube UVB 10.0. The rest of the screen, I put clear mailing tape. It holds the humidity in just as good as plexi glass. The screen filters the UVB light just like tall trees in the forest would. I made a hole in the screen for the heat emitter to go into. This works for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
redreptile said:
Thanks Chucky. I'm thinking the heat emitter will heat only a portion, possible the hide area of the 40 gallon tank(36" x 18 "") the redfoot is in. Sound like I will have to cover entire tank if I want to raise the temp in entire tank.

I fold several pieces of aluminum foil together to make one big piece, big enough to cover the top of the habitat. Then I cover it all, even over the top of the lights, and tuck it around the edges so that its all covered tightly. If it gets too warm inside, you can open a corner. The foil keeps the cool air from the house from flooding in, and keeps the warm air inside.

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You are going to loose heat on the top, all sides, and even the bottom. Insulating each section will help. I like using a chunk of rigid foam on the top and bottom, and stuff like the foil and bubble wrap for houses on the sides.

Good insulation and covers also helps hold in humidity- but the flip side is 'sick air syndrome'. You have to make sure there is good fresh air flow. Since hot air will rise, the easy thing is to have a hole or two in the top, and bigger or more holes down low. That gets us a nice flow of air throughout the habitat. Cover or uncover the top holes to adjust the flow.

I also REALLY, REALLY like using a thermostatic control on my ceramic heater. I appreciate the 'set and forget' ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.